Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yossarian said:
Juno - 9/10 - funny, quirky kid with such a positive outlook on things - worth the rental fee
i agree with your assessment, but i'd give it a 7/10. it wasn't really a hilarious movie, i had more chuckles than laughs.

some good individual performances though.

i also rented The Mist. i thought it was actually a decently suspenseful movie(especially towards the end) but the CGI made Van Helsing look like Transformers.

haha

Van Helsing - 1/10 - saw it a couple of years back and I can honestly say it was one of the few movies I actually wanted my money and life after viewing.

The Gloat said:
Only people that hate dance are those that can't do it. Because anyone with half a brain knows you can be an average looking guy...but if you can dance, you become a god in the eyes of women.
Thus the hate. Especially from my fellow white folks. Lord help them.

I dance like techno viking,it's never done me any favours wit da ladies.:suspect: :ha:

Creeping-Cruds said:
Sweeney Todd certainly isn't for everyone, but if you can appreciate musicals or stage productions its worth every cent of the rental or purchase. Gory to boot..

Well I decided to give it another chance. I'd rate it 8/10 after turning on the subtitles, which helped me understand what they were singing. With that, I understood the plot much better. :))

I do like Sascha Cohen (Ali G, Borat...) and he was quite convincing playing the Italian barber. Depp and Carter were great as usual. This also had a little influx of Harry Potter actors. (at least 3)

...No spoilers....but give it a chance. I guess you really need to be in the mood for it as well, which I probably wasn't last time.

Yossarian said:
haha

Van Helsing - 1/10 - saw it a couple of years back and I can honestly say it was one of the few movies I actually wanted my money and life after viewing.

With Van Helsing, Universal Pictures sold out their entire classic horror franchise in one fell swoop. Thank god Karloff, Lugosi and Lon Chaney weren't around to see it. All too typical of Hollywood of today.
I'm hoping the upcoming Benicio Del Toro take on The Wolfman redeems at least one of the characters. I suspect the new Creature From The Black Lagoon will be similar to Van Helsing...

KamikaZ said:
The Ordeal (English translation) - A contemporary horror from Belgium. Not very scary, but extremely disturbing. Basically about a dude who gets his car broken down in a secluded village, and the inhabitants happen to be some pretty perverted, deviant cats. Lots of disturbing stuff subtly placed throughout. Definately more weird and unsettling than scary, but a lot more disturbing than the Hostel series (which I've always considered exercises in watching torture).

The Devil's Backbone: Directed by Pan's Labyrinth creator Guillermo Del Toro , this is a GREAT ghost story. The scares are not cheap, and like a ghost story should, has a very genuinely frightening allure to keep the viewer on edge.
9/10.

Upon reading the description of The Ordeal I realized it is the movie I know as Calvaire. God damn that is one disturbing flick. The scene with the dudes in the pub is just wrong. Freaky stuff..

Devil's Backbone is an all-time favorite. Same movie Michael Jackson showed to those Spanish speaking kids to get them scared enough to crawl into bed with him.. The Horror, the horror!

Creeping-Cruds said:
Sweeney Todd certainly isn't for everyone, but if you can appreciate musicals or stage productions its worth every cent of the rental or purchase. Gory to boot..

venn_todd.jpg

Yossarian said:
Walk Hard (The Dewey Cox Story) - 2/10 - about as stupid as movies get, John C Reilly needs to quit trying to mimic Will Ferrell (who's stupidity has run it's course IMO)

I'd give it 7/10 as I didn't think it was that bad. I went into it knowing it's a parody of "Walk the Line" - so the humor was not lost on me. We're you expecting a fine piece of film work?

Hot Rod

7/10 - :ha: :thumb:

I was a little apprehensive at first, but the film grew on me. The banter between Rod Kimble [Andy Samberg] and his step-dad Frank Powell [Ian McShane] was priceless. Sascha Baron Cohen's true-life spouse plays Denise [Isla Fisher]. This is an obvious SNL production, but it doesn't drag along and has some outrageous comedic moments.

Taco versus Grilled Cheese in a fight? I say Taco!!

Kid Gloves said:
7/10 - :ha: :thumb:

I was a little apprehensive at first, but the film grew on me. The banter between Rod Kimble [Andy Samberg] and his step-dad Frank Powell [Ian McShane] was priceless. Sascha Baron Cohen's true-life spouse plays Denise [Isla Fisher]. This is an obvious SNL production, but it doesn't drag along and has some outrageous comedic moments.

Taco versus Grilled Cheese in a fight? I say Taco!!

Hot Rod's a brilliant movie - I was the same as you going into it, but after watching it twice I think I made the right decision renting it.

Iron Man rocks.

I didn't leave the theatre feeling like I'd seen another annoyingly cliched superhero movie. A pretty good transition from comic to movie. Well made with great effects,decent plot & just right amount of humour.

Downey Jnr makes the movie IMO.

9/10
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

superbad had it's moments, but no way it gets a 10/10. it wasn't anywhere nearly as funny as knocked up or the 40 year old virgin.

:slap:

you do realize the only reason i compared it to knocked up and the 40 year old virgin was because all three of them are judd apatow productions, right?

i didn't just pull two other random movies out of a hat...

Knocked Up Sucked (why is Seth Rogan in a comedic leading role?)

40 Year Old Virgin = HI-Larry-us

However... I'd probably laugh at Steve Carell eating breakfast so take my opinion with a grain of salt

Sometimes $7 for A DVD is still waaaaaay too much

I picked up a PV copy of the movie Rendition on the cheap (sold by the Roger Ebert blurb on the case and a stellar cast). Although intially I was intrigued by the story, rarely does a movie annoy me as much as this one; Underdeveloped cardboard cut out characters, unrealized, illogical plot lines, left wing paranoia... this movie is a total mess. I can't believe people actually liked this crapfest. I'll never watch this POS again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back