Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did you avoid it?

It's essentially a futuristic twist on a true story anyway since Guy Fawkles did try to blow up British Parliament.

for some reason I avoided this movie for years, only to give it one of those "ah, what the hell ...." cues a few months back . no regret

although, I've yet to re-watch it, I wouldn't hesitate to sit through if it was on a t a friend's house or if I happen to catch in the guide (i'll note that I actually played it via OnDemand as kind of a random thing)

not many leads that I'll get all "hang a poster on my wall" over, and I'm not generally the type to side with the villain, but I've got V in my top 10 characters . the hero/villain directive worked well here (side note: I think the Ben Wade character in 3:10 to Yuma, did too)

the concept of rebellion and theatrical terrorism for a cause is a risky concept in todays world, and I may have some issue with it, but there are plenty of movies, in nearly all genres, with questionable messages so you can't really cast off what is an excellent film solely based on it's message

I'm going to have to watch it again soon, and thanks for bringing it up

Haha, I did a very similar thing. I hate watching movies that make a big splash with the "artistic" crowd. I find most of them have no artistic abilities and don't know a theatrical movement from a bowel movement. My friends kinda tricked me into watching it... they know me too well. I LOVED IT. There were (as there are with ALL movies) parts that made me roll my eyes, but in the end its one of my favorites.

V For Vendetta was a hit for the "artsy crowd"? I always thought it catered more to the mainstream, as those are usually the films biggest fans. I didn't think the movie did any justice to the graphic novel.

The Game - Ugh. I didn't think David Fincher could do an absolutely retarded movie, but he did with this one. I heard good things about it; good thriller, great ending. It had neither. I'm all about suspending disbelief for movies, but I just couldn't do it for this one. 4.5/10

watched cloverfield tonight on pay per view.

i'm glad it only cost me 4.99 on PPV instead of wasting gas plus $9.00 on a movie ticket. less than 90 minutes and not very engaging. maybe 1 minute of footage of the monster/thing and never explained how it got there or where it came from.

gotta hand it to jj abrams though, great strategy on marketing a movie. don't show a damn thing during the trailers so people go see your movie. when they DO see the movie, you show them the same thing in the trailers.

watched cloverfield tonight on pay per view.

i'm glad it only cost me 4.99 on PPV instead of wasting gas plus $9.00 on a movie ticket. less than 90 minutes and not very engaging. maybe 1 minute of footage of the monster/thing and never explained how it got there or where it came from.

gotta hand it to jj abrams though, great strategy on marketing a movie. don't show a damn thing during the trailers so people go see your movie. when they DO see the movie, you show them the same thing in the trailers.

THANK YOU!

Hugely over rated movie. You go in not knowing anything and come out none the wiser.

THANK YOU!

Hugely over rated movie. You go in not knowing anything and come out none the wiser.

I'm not a Cloverfield "apologist" if there is such a thing and I can take it or leave it but that was exactly the point.
I've talked to several folks who just can't get over this same thing though. If we knew the details would the movie be any better? No.

Look, I'm not a Cloverfield fan (I'd give it a 6.5/10), but you're not supposed to KNOW anything about the situation, the monster, or where it came from. That was important to the film IMO.

watched The Prestige today.

great movie with christian bale and hugh jackman. about two very competitive magicians in the 19th century trying to out-do each other.

had a great plot twist and was a very fun movie.

I'm not a Cloverfield "apologist" if there is such a thing and I can take it or leave it but that was exactly the point.
I've talked to several folks who just can't get over this same thing though. If we knew the details would the movie be any better? No.

People criticise movies for plot holes and missing characteristics yet Cloverfield gets a pass because it is meant to be like that?

And then, the explanation of where the monster comes from is told by the director in an interview later on?

I may as well make an incomplete movie and shoot it off to hollywood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back