Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd think the bubble is bound to burst sometime soon. When BvS makes $900 million and it is considered a financial disappointment because it takes at least a billion dollars to make a profit, there is something wrong with the genre.

BvS and Justice League are considered disappointments because of the IPs they're using. Ragnarok made 800 million (I think) and it's considered a success.

Y'all's complaints about too many supercomic films are adorable to those of us who.remember when the "blockbuster" movies were Kramer Vs Kramer, Love Story, Harry And Tonto, and What's Up Doc.

Y'all's complaints about too many supercomic films are adorable to those of us who.remember when the "blockbuster" movies were Kramer Vs Kramer, Love Story, Harry And Tonto, and What's Up Doc.

Nice cherry-pickin there holmes..
The year of Kramer vs Kramer we also got Alien, Apocalypse Now, The Warriors, The Jerk. Mad Max, Amityville Horror, Phantasm, Meatballs, The Wanderers, Quadrophenia, Murder by Decree, The Onion Field, The Brood, China Syndrome, Life of Brian, Breaking Away, Zombi, Salem's Lot and on and on

I dont even need to do the other years as that one year alone trumps the last 15 years of mindless CG superhero dreck..

By that standard the entire supes complaint is one big cherry-picking party. It's one or two films max every couple of years. The MCU is just one large event broken into parts.

A flick that will connect Deadpool and Cable at some point. They both got their first appearances in New Mutants.
Maybe... Bryan Singer has no real interest in the real characters. He's had his actors NOT read about the characters they play, sparingly anyway.

I'm taking much of the mutant universe with a grain of salt.

When does New Mutants take place? The timeline is convoluted. Each movie takes place in different decades. 60s, then 70s, then 80s. Will Phoenix take place in the 90s??

By that standard the entire supes complaint is one big cherry-picking party. It's one or two films max every couple of years. The MCU is just one large event broken into parts.

Further proving my point.
'79 > all Supes combined.
The fan-boy hype machine making it a far bigger deal than "one or two films max every couple of years" (though in fact it is many more than that. Marvel alone averages 4 films a year).

Maybe... Bryan Singer has no real interest in the real characters. He's had his actors NOT read about the characters they play, sparingly anyway.

I'm taking much of the mutant universe with a grain of salt.

When does New Mutants take place? The timeline is convoluted. Each movie takes place in different decades. 60s, then 70s, then 80s. Will Phoenix take place in the 90s??
Honestly, I wasn't a fan of New Mutants. I would prefer a Cable lead X Force movie without Bryan Singer. I would like a Christopher Nolan lead project.

Honestly, I wasn't a fan of New Mutants. I would prefer a Cable lead X Force movie without Bryan Singer. I would like a Christopher Nolan lead project.

You never know. They have been teasing a true Phoenix movie for what seems forever but if the timeline keeps going on the same trajectory in the movies then yes in the 90's or very early 2000.

Singer does the occasional good movie... hoping Marvel breaks off that affiliation and Feige takes over.
Feige has done a really good job. In the beginning, the MCU stuff of his was really good but now because the market is saturated with this stuff, it's been diminished in my eyes.

Zach Snyder did a good job with Man of Steel and Watchmen. BvS, JL, and Wonder Woman blowed.

Further proving my point.
'79 > all Supes combined.
The fan-boy hype machine making it a far bigger deal than "one or two films max every couple of years" (though in fact it is many more than that. Marvel alone averages 4 films a year).

False. Your rebuttal was to attempt to list every film from one year associated with one film that I listed (conveniently the only one post-"Star Wars"). We could d9 the same with every singe year there has been a supes movie. Why not just ignore them instead of complaining about their existence? You remind me of this bass player I knew.once who usex to scream and bitch incessantly every time he saw a hair metal band on MTV because it wasn't 'real metal' and seriously could not u derstand how anyone could listen to ANYTHING other than 'real metal'.

Comic book movies are here to stay. Although the market may not ever be this oversaturated ever again. I do think we're rapidly approaching the point of the audience losing interest, at least to some degree. If we're not already at that point.

I still read and love comics but I'm rarely all that excited for a superhero movie anymore. Logan was the last one I saw in the theater and I think it was Deadpool before that. So about one per year. Whereas years back I'd go see just about everything.

It's just too much to keep up with and we're getting into less interesting properties. Venom, Captain Marvel, Suicide Squad.... eh. I'll check em out, but I'll gladly wait for video.

Lol screaming? - you are the one sound like a screaming crazy person Avv.
I barely talk about Supes at all anymore - unless dragged into a discussion as one of the supes-haters..

You started this by stating "Y'all's complaints about too many supercomic films are adorable to those of us who.remember when the "blockbuster" movies were Kramer Vs Kramer, Love Story, Harry And Tonto, and What's Up Doc." conveniently leaving out a sh*t-ton of great films, the bulk of which widely considered having come from one of the greatest eras of film-making.

Conveniently?
I listed 79/KvK because it was the first you listed. That list was so slam dunk, the point needed no further making.

But just for kicks lets look at the year Harry and Tonto came out:
Blazing Saddles, Chinatown, Godfather 2, Young Frankenstein, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Death Wish, The Longest Yard, The Great Gatsby, The Phantom of The Paradise, Foxy Brown, The Gambler, Black Christmas, Sugar Hill, Madhouse, Deathdream.. need I go on?

At #59 top grossing films of '74 are we really calling Harry and Tonto a blockbuster?
So actually you just picked some random crappy old-folks flicks from the 70's to compare to the glorious Supes standard.

And your comparison of me to your heavy metal friend is absurd.First, I don't scream about anything. Yeah, I mostly like Rock, but there are very few genres I can't find something I like.
Modern, overtly compressed pop with a hip hop flavor - not my thing, but that hardly makes me unique.

You were saying?

False. Your rebuttal was to attempt to list every film from one year associated with one film that I listed (conveniently the only one post-"Star Wars"). We could d9 the same with every singe year there has been a supes movie. Why not just ignore them instead of complaining about their existence? You remind me of this bass player I knew.once who usex to scream and ***** incessantly every time he saw a hair metal band on MTV because it wasn't 'real metal' and seriously could not u derstand how anyone could listen to ANYTHING other than 'real metal'.

Comic book movies are here to stay. Although the market may not ever be this oversaturated ever again. I do think we're rapidly approaching the point of the audience losing interest, at least to some degree. If we're not already at that point.

I still read and love comics but I'm rarely all that excited for a superhero movie anymore. Logan was the last one I saw in the theater and I think it was Deadpool before that. So about one per year. Whereas years back I'd go see just about everything.

It's just too much to keep up with and we're getting into less interesting properties. Venom, Captain Marvel, Suicide Squad.... eh. I'll check em out, but I'll gladly wait for video.
Exactly. Beyond X-Men, The Avevngers, and the last of the 1st MCU characters that culminated in the Avengers, what will there be to go to? Like I said earlier I would love to see a X-Force movie, but there aren't many more Marvel properties to really like once these are completed. Star-Jammers? A new Silver Surfer? A Reynoldsless Hal Jordan/Spectre or Darkseid over in the DC universe? I'm not optimistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Films based on graphic novels, probably - but traditional popular DC/Marvel characters will eventually fade. How many times can you reboot Spiderman or Fantastic 4 before people start moving on.
And it will be replaced by something worse.

Yes, I was saying. You still haven't proven anything except that lots of movies were made in the past. Half of the ones you've listed weren't even very good. Lots of them are made now also that are equal to your list. There is no such thing as a saturation of supes films; we just happen to be experiencing a time when what artists draw can actually be put on the screen.

Films based on graphic novels, probably - but traditional popular DC/Marvel characters will eventually fade. How many times can you reboot Spiderman or Fantastic 4 before people start moving on.
And it will be replaced by something worse.
They will fade. But I honestly don't see them ever totally going away. Hell, how many years now has Hollywood been churning out the same exact rom coms or action movies? 30, 40 years? People still eat them up happily.

I do think these "universes" with connecting films will go away though. But I'd be surprised if there isn't at least one comic book based film coming out per year for quite awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back