Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
BvS was the same way. The first half of the movie was just too disjointed.

The entire BvS Snyder era has been one big dud. Man of Steel was interesting until Clark became Superman. The only thing they got right in BvS was Batman wrecking everyone in the warehouse. If only Nolan could have had better fight scenes, Nolan's Batman was too technical and made the fight scenes look like an MMA sparring session and it never got to show Batman's prowess as a brawler.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Darkest Hour"
Oscars well deserved for makeup and Oldman's performance.
This is not, as I had expected, a biopic; it is a dramatization of WC's first 20+ days after taking the office of Prime Minister as Hitler was closing in and all his troops were trapped at Dunkirk. It shows a nice contrast between politics and leadership. Two thumbs up.

Now for something totally different...

Saw “Game Night” last night. I’ve been a big Jason Bateman fan since “Arrested Development”.

Bateman didn’t disappoint but Kyle Chandler wasn’t the right for the part, IMO. Jesse Plemons was outstanding. He was great in “Friday Night Lights” too (with Chandler). Got sideways a bit for me towards the end.

I give it :8::8::8: 1/2 out of 4. Redbox worthy.

The entire BvS Snyder era has been one big dud. Man of Steel was interesting until Clark became Superman. The only thing they got right in BvS was Batman wrecking everyone in the warehouse. If only Nolan could have had better fight scenes, Nolan's Batman was too technical and made the fight scenes look like an MMA sparring session and it never got to show Batman's prowess as a brawler.
I'm not sure anyone's Batman can compare to Nolan's in the near future. Those movies where almost masterpieces in writing and cast selection for the roles.

It could be argued... The DCU is as flawed as it is DUE to Nolan's Batman trilogy.

Rises came out in 2012... that's when The Avengers came out. Already 4 years into building Marvel and DC couldn't really start until after Nolan was finished. DCU didn't even start until 2013 with Man of Steel. Technically, though, that was a stand alone. It wasn't until 2016 that the first film to truly lay the foundation for the DCU was released - BvS. By then, DC had to catch up with 8 years of "infrastructure" by Marvel.

If Nolan's trilogy hadn't happened... would the DCU had been better planned out and better paced?

If Nolan's trilogy hadn't happened... would the DCU had been better planned out and better paced?
IDK. If anything it should've been even better planned out, as they had all those extra years. I think this is just plain old top-down incompetence.

There was no need to rush things even though they were "behind" Marvel. Hell, Marvel had established the blueprint. It was right there for everyone to see. But DC was like "Nah, let's do the exact opposite."

Wind River: So Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch once again team up, but as their alter egos. At first this movie had Thunderheart written all over it, especially with the opening sequence, but it went a little bit different than I expected. Overall I liked the movie and it held my attention pretty much the whole time. Jeremy Renner does a really good job as characters outside of Hawkeye. Once again, a movie that happens in almost complete isolation makes for a great movie.

Black Panther:
Overall, really enjoyed it; the pacing was weird, though. Because of that, Killmonger being tauted as the "best villian since the Joker" has been a bit overblown. It is nice that he is not the bland, egocentric "I'm taking over THE WORLD!!" type- he is the hero of his own story- but there is a big, uncomfortable leap between his stated mission and challenging T'challah. I have heard that the film was originally four hours and was edited down to 2:15:00, and the apparent result is that the third act goes REALLY fast; I'm guessing that Killmonger's story suffers because of that.

A lot of the Killmonger hype had to do with his swag and looks, no homo but from the top of my head, he was probably the most handsome villain I can think of. If they got an ugly actor, I don't think the same praise would have been there.

I agree the tone was truly bizarre with all the constant jokes. Although I personally thought it was really entertaining. But yeah, it almost feels like a totally different universe when you compare it to the previous installments. Even Bruce Banner is a comedian all of a sudden?

Still thought Eric Bana was the best Bruce Banner. My problem with Ruffalo was that he was "too cool" and fit right in with the other Avengers. Bana and Norton gave us a more awkward hermit Banner and that would have made the Avengers more dimensional. As powerful as Banner is, I always looked at him as a benchwarmer on the team. I don't think that would have been case with Bana or Norton (they wanted to bring Norton back but wouldn't give in to his demands when he wanted to take part in writing the script).

"Pacific Rim: Uprising"
This is a cautionary tale which offers commentary on colonialism, societal evolution and both the perks and perils of ever-accellerating technological advancement. Themes of reluctant heroism draw equally from classical literary tomes from Dickens and Tolstoy as well as from some of Shakespeare's greatest tragedies vis a vis "War And Peace", "Hamlet", "Bleak House" and "The Merchant Of Considerable Difficulty". The director keeps the audience fully engaged by superimposing tragedies of both past and present over a parade of antagonists both human and otherwise, mixed with a healthy dose of mcguffins and red herrings to keep us guessing where the plot will twist and surprise us next. The deneument is certainly worth the anxiety; one which will.certainly become the standard by which all following Oscar contenders shall be judged.

Lol jk big robots

Still thought Eric Bana was the best Bruce Banner. My problem with Ruffalo was that he was "too cool" and fit right in with the other Avengers. Bana and Norton gave us a more awkward hermit Banner and that would have made the Avengers more dimensional. As powerful as Banner is, I always looked at him as a benchwarmer on the team. I don't think that would have been case with Bana or Norton (they wanted to bring Norton back but wouldn't give in to his demands when he wanted to take part in writing the script).
I liked the Eric Bana hulk as well. My only problem with it was he looked too cartoonish as Hulk

Isle of Dogs - Wes Anderson is my favorite director, but I have no idea about this movie because none of these Podunk theaters around here will show it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back