Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree for the most part (aside from some particulars in your rankings). Although I kinda feel like Captain Marvel could end up going in that "just ehhh" tier once the newness wears off and it's revisited. I personally enjoyed Thor 1, Iron Man 1, and Doctor Strange more than Captain Marvel.

I really dig the character. It was just a weak, fairly uninteresting (at least by MCU standards) story. There were definitely some great/memorable moments in there. But when the credits hit my immediate thought was "that's it?" And that's almost never the case with MCU films for me. I think RTH is right and that character will be great in future appearances.

We see her again in 6 week in the next Avengers movie. Hopefully her character evolves a bit there.

Captain Marvel is going to make a zillion dollars though. Every dad I know with a little girl went to this movie this weekend.

I know people get caught up in the politics and nonsense around some of these films but I really appreciate what Marvel does.

Superheroes are our cultural gods. They're our Olympians. They are symbols that kids identify with and look up to. Boy, girl, black, white, Hispanic, Asian, Marvel gives kids someone to look at. Everyone has they're hero.

The inevitable gay hero is coming and I know there's a segment of our society that is going to act out because of it but again, good to see.

Yeah Man of Steel definitely underrated. TBH, I kinda feel like the DC movies are a bit unfairly shit on. No they aren't nearly as good as the MCU. And some of them are outright terrible. But I typically at least kinda sorta enjoy them. It's just frustrating because they should be making A+ films out of these properties and they're not even close.

We see her again in 6 week in the next Avengers movie. Hopefully her character evolves a bit there.

Captain Marvel is going to make a zillion dollars though. Every dad I know with a little girl went to this movie this weekend.

I know people get caught up in the politics and nonsense around some of these films but I really appreciate what Marvel does.

Superheroes are our cultural gods. They're our Olympians. They are symbols that kids identify with and look up to. Boy, girl, black, white, Hispanic, Asian, Marvel gives kids someone to look at. Everyone has they're hero.

The inevitable gay hero is coming and I know there's a segment of our society that is going to act out because of it but again, good to see.
Yeah I totally get it. And I'm totally cool with it. I do think every little kid should be able to identify with a cinematic hero on at least some superficial level. HOWEVER, I'm just not gonna pretend a movie was great when it really wasn't just because it has a "first black/female/gay/whatever" lead in it. Wonder Woman was a great movie. Captain Marvel just wasn't. All my opinion of course.

Yeah I totally get it. And I'm totally cool with it. I do think every little kid should be able to identify with a cinematic hero on at least some superficial level. HOWEVER, I'm just not gonna pretend a movie was great when it really wasn't just because it has a "first black/female/gay/whatever" lead in it. Wonder Woman was a great movie. Captain Marvel just wasn't. All my opinion of course.

Wonder Woman was good, loved the WW1 setting, but DCU sucks and the character kind of sucks. Basically girl Thor.

Wonder Woman was good, loved the WW1 setting, but DCU sucks and the character kind of sucks. Basically girl Thor.
WW did a much better job at nailing the whole badass female hero/empowerment thing imo. Hell, I wanted to be WW by the end of that movie. CM often felt like it was trying too hard. Like playing No Doubt's 'Just a Girl' over an action sequence was a little too on the nose, and honestly kinda cringey.

DC's misstep was when they hitched their wagon to Zack Snyder. As soon as I learned they were attempting a DCU with Snyder's direction and influence... I had a bad feeling about it...

WW did a much better job at nailing the whole badass female hero/empowerment thing imo. Hell, I wanted to be WW by the end of that movie. CM often felt like it was trying too hard. Like playing No Doubt's 'Just a Girl' over an action sequence was a little too on the nose, and honestly kinda cringey.
The big difference is one is an A class character and the other is C-B class.

So it's not surprising WW was better received.

DC's misstep was when they hitched their wagon to Zack Snyder. As soon as I learned they were attempting a DCU with Snyder's direction and influence... I had a bad feeling about it...
I didn't mind it at the time. But yeah, in retrospect, bad move. I really, really liked Watchmen.

The big difference is one is an A class character and the other is C-B class.

So it's not surprising WW was better received.
Fair point. It still doesn't excuse CM's shortcomings for me though. Marvel has already proven they can knock B/C(/D?) level character movies out of the park. Guardians. Antman. Hell, even Iron Man and Captain America were far from hot properties when their movies came out.

Bottom line, they could've done a lot better with this movie.

DC's misstep was fucking up an already proven model by MCU.

1. Have an actual plan, which shouldn't be too hard, since it's all laid out in the comics.
2. Make individual character movies that are supposed to be tied to together. Man of Steel was not initially intended to be tied together with anything. It was supposed to be the start of a Superman reboot.
3. Use those individual movies to have all of the characters join together.
4. Profit.

Batman never even got a stand-alone movie in the DCU, which is criminal. Aquaman, Cyborg, Flash, and Wonder Woman made their appearances in the movies that didn't even feature them.

They fucked it up so badly, and the blueprint was already done for them.

Batman never even got a stand-alone movie in the DCU, which is criminal.
I've always wondered if that was them bowing to all the online nerds whining "Please no more Batman reboots. Nolan already perfected it." Like, I get it. BUT, Batman is hands down the most popular character they have. By a mile. It's flat out retarded to not give him his own movie when you're starting up a brand new cinematic universe.

I didn't mind it at the time. But yeah, in retrospect, bad move. I really, really liked Watchmen.

Watchmen got hate because he changed a few things but I disagree. Watchmen is a great FILM. It's more than a comic movie.

Of course the source material would be considered one of the greatest modern novels if it wasn't a comic.

It should be required reading.

I've always wondered if that was them bowing to all the online nerds whining "Please no more Batman reboots. Nolan already perfected it." Like, I get it. BUT, Batman is hands down the most popular character they have. By a mile. It's flat out retarded to not give him his own movie when you're starting up a brand new cinematic universe.

The new Batman movie comes out in 2021 I believe.

BatFleck is ded

Watchmen got hate because he changed a few things but I disagree. Watchmen is a great FILM. It's more than a comic movie.

Of course the source material would be considered one of the greatest modern novels if it wasn't a comic.

See, I saw that movie before ever reading the comic. So I didn't care about what they changed. It was just a badass fun as hell movie to me.

There are college courses dedicated to studying specific books, literature... yes, Watchmen is studied in colleges.

I think it was two things; everyone hated Ben Afleck being cast as Batman initially, so DC was probably a little nervous about him getting a stand-alone movie, and DC was in a hurry to catch up to DCU's universe. They tried to cram like six years of work into two.

Iron Man came out in 2008. The Avengers came out in 2012. BVS came out in 2016. MCU had a big head start and DC was trying to catch up as quickly as possible. Since Batman is the tried and true DC character, everyone is familiar with his background and they probably thought they could just pick it up mid-story to save some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was two things; everyone hated Ben Afleck being cast as Batman initially, so DC was probably a little nervous about him getting a stand-alone movie and DC was in a hurry to catch up to DCU's universe. They tried to cram like six years of work into two.

Iron Man came out in 2008. The Avengers came out in 2012. BVS came out in 2016. MCU had a big head start and DC was trying to catch up as quickly as possible. Since Batman is the tried and true DC character, everyone is familiar with his background and they probably thought they could just pick it up mid-story to save some time.
The problem, to me anyway, was there was no real establishing of who these people are... not origins, how they think and act. Every version of Batman has been different, so they should've established the characters slightly better.

But, whatever... the DCU as we know it is dead.

I took all the literature classes in college and didn't get the Watchmen studies lol.

Of course it was well over a decade ago.
It's studied at colleges... not all colleges.

I took a class that was dedicated to David Mamet. Yes, it sucked.

Took a course on nothing but Science Fiction films. That was an interesting class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back