Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

One of my favorite movies. Its been out for years.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c9Kx_t6ko1k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c9Kx_t6ko1k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
One of my favorite movies. Its been out for years.

If you love Hunter S you've probably already seen it, but just in case...
Gonzo: The Life and Work of Hunter S Thompson
Shows lots of back-story details of the real "Fear and Loathing" trip amongst other wacky HST tales...
gonzosundance.jpg

Outpost: A group of Eastern Euro mercenaries uncover an old German outpost that hasn't been touched in 30 years. What they find inside is the result of some very Castle Wolfenstein-esque results. Very entertaining flick; the acting is actually quite strong, the plot while not all that original is satisfying, and there are some decent scares -- the atmosphere alone is quite good. 8/10.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fEI-v5pdivA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fEI-v5pdivA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I loved the source material by Jose Saramago. The movie wasn't as flawed as critics made it out to be, but it wasn't nearly as powerful as the novel. If you liked the movie even a bit, picking up the book would be highly recommended.

I finally seen Pineapple Express today. It was a pretty funny movie. Seth Rogan gets funnier in every movie I see him in.

I also took my daughter to see Coraline this past weekend. It was a good movie for the kids. It definitely has a little bit of strangeness to it. But it was worth watching for sure.

The problem is that Burton gets practically sole credit for Nightmare Before Christmas, when it was Selick who directed that film. My wife drags me out to Anaheim every year for the Disney Nightmare event where you get to meet & greet with folks who worked on the movie etc. and on more than one occasion we were told that Burton had squat to do with any of the actual filming of the movie... He was off working on Batman or Ed Wood at the time..

El Orphanato (The Orphanage) - Guillermo del Toro

A woman who grew up in an orphanage returns to the home of her youth with her husband and son to turn it into a residence for mentally handicapped children. When the son (Simon) makes some new imaginary friends, strange things begin to happen around the orphanage.

If you've seen Pan's Labyrinth or Hellboy then you are familiar with Guillermo del Toro's work and genius. This film lives up to the greatness I have come to expect from del Toro. One of the best horror movies I have ever seen. None of the campy, gratuitively violent, thin plot, poor writing aspects that characterize the vast majority of American horror movies are present in the Orphanage. A deep and dark tale that I would highly recommend to anyone.

Definite 10 out of 10

El Orphanato (The Orphanage) - Guillermo del Toro

A woman who grew up in an orphanage returns to the home of her youth with her husband and son to turn it into a residence for mentally handicapped children. When the son (Simon) makes some new imaginary friends, strange things begin to happen around the orphanage.

If you've seen Pan's Labyrinth or Hellboy then you are familiar with Guillermo del Toro's work and genius. This film lives up to the greatness I have come to expect from del Toro. One of the best horror movies I have ever seen. None of the campy, gratuitively violent, thin plot, poor writing aspects that characterize the vast majority of American horror movies are present in the Orphanage. A deep and dark tale that I would highly recommend to anyone.

Definite 10 out of 10

Del Toro? Are they hawking him as having directed The Orphanage? I believe he was maybe a producer here at best. Juan Bayona directed this movie and should get credit..
Not really a fan of Hellboy but I love Pan's and especially Devil's Backbone, which is pretty similar to this story..

Douh! You're right. del Torro was the producer. During the opening credits, it says a film by Guillermo del Toro, I just assumed. I guess this is like the Tim Burton - Coraline discussion.

Anyway, Bayona did a great job directing. Still, it was a del Toro project and his name is attached to it, so my statement above still stands.

The problem is that Burton gets practically sole credit for Nightmare Before Christmas, when it was Selick who directed that film. My wife drags me out to Anaheim every year for the Disney Nightmare event where you get to meet & greet with folks who worked on the movie etc. and on more than one occasion we were told that Burton had squat to do with any of the actual filming of the movie... He was off working on Batman or Ed Wood at the time..

Is Nightmare Before Christmas any good? I bought it on Blu-ray but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Is Nightmare Before Christmas any good? I bought it on Blu-ray but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

You know, it's a movie that grows on you tremendously after you see it a bunch of times and learn all the songs etc. - just like those silly Christmas shows like Rudolf etc. but with cool monsters.
Not fair to make a call on this one after just one or two viewings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back