Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

And a 22 on a guy with a broken back and a 18 on a wheezy WR that doesn’t play and a 29 on another T that couldn’t play T but in a totally different way.
Getting a solid G and arguably the best OL of the draft was in no way a bad pick.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we picked a bad player. I am just very skeptical of the decision to not even try the guy who had the highest pass protection grade in college fottball at LT at the position he proved he could play even with his "short arms".

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we picked a bad player. I am just very skeptical of the decision to not even try the guy who had the highest pass protection grade in college fottball at LT at the position he proved he could play even with his "short arms".
There has to be some reason they chose to do that. Maybe we will here something different someday besides short arms and bull fisher prevention

This may be stupid but is it possible we don’t have another G?
Like these guys rotating at T are actually much worse at a G position so they try putting them where they are “best” despite a potentially better T on the roster.

This may be stupid but is it possible we don’t have another G?
Like these guys rotating at T are actually much worse at a G position so they try putting them where they are “best” despite a potentially better T on the roster.

Maybe, I guess. But given how horrible our tackle play has been, and that LT is generally considered the most important role on the line, you would think that improving that would do more to help the line overall even if we lose some talent at guard.

Maybe, I guess. But given how horrible our tackle play has been, and that LT is generally considered the most important role on the line, you would think that improving that would do more to help the line overall even if we lose some talent at guard.
Guess we have to rely on the judgement of highly respected HC and his cronies.

Probably a safer bet to rely on the speculation of some random poster on a message board. I kid, I kid.
I’m not even speculating on why that won’t play Skoronski at T, just suggested any possibility because it doesn’t make a lot of sense why he isn’t tried.

I guess there is some speculation that highly respected HC and his cronies suck at coaching which might account for the 4 T not being able to adequately play T.

I agree with how idiotic it has been to not try Skronski at LT. Skoronski has not even been that great at OG. Twice last game his job was to cut off the LBer and he didn't get his man blocked and Henry got nailed in the hole.

Re-watched game just focusing on Duncan and he held his own fairly well and he was not given tons of extra help. He held up 1 on 1 with Burns multiple times. He did get bull rushed into Levis early in the game, but I never saw him get put on skates again.

I'm excited to see how he progresses.

I’m not even speculating on why that won’t play Skoronski at T, just suggested any possibility because it doesn’t make a lot of sense why he isn’t tried.

I guess there is some speculation that highly respected HC and his cronies suck at coaching which might account for the 4 T not being able to adequately play T.
If I had to guess, the reasoning would go something like this… Coaches think that Ski can be a pro bowl level guard. It is notoriously difficult for rookie o-linemen to adjust to the NFL level. The easiest path to adjustment would be to start at guard, especially when you have no studs at any other position on the line to help said rookie adjust. Coaches are thinking about the future as well as the present for Ski. So, let’s solidify one position on the line for the next several years and add to that.

It’s not perfect reasoning, but it makes some sense. The fact is, we don’t know much at all about their thinking or what they have/have not tried. Regardless, one good lineman is not going to fix the line no matter what position he plays.

If I had to guess, the reasoning would go something like this… Coaches think that Ski can be a pro bowl level guard. It is notoriously difficult for rookie o-linemen to adjust to the NFL level. The easiest path to adjustment would be to start at guard, especially when you have no studs at any other position on the line to help said rookie adjust. Coaches are thinking about the future as well as the present for Ski. So, let’s solidify one position on the line for the next several years and add to that.

It’s not perfect reasoning, but it makes some sense. The fact is, we don’t know much at all about their thinking or what they have/have not tried. Regardless, one good lineman is not going to fix the line no matter what position he plays.
Seems reasonable explanation of possibility.

we all just want Joe Thomas though.

I can buy that. But if that's true, I fear it could also mean we draft another LT in the top 10 next year, and still not be able to play him at LT. We could be stuck with weakness at the most important line position for a while....

I would buy that if weren't running Duncan out there at LT now. He's also a rookie, and a substantially less talented player

It boils down to stubborness. It's the same reason Radunz has never been given an actual shot. They made up their mind on Skronk before they even drafted him, so he's never gonna a shot.

I would buy that if weren't running Duncan out there at LT now. He's also a rookie, and a substantially less talented player

It boils down to stubborness. It's the same reason Radunz has never been given an actual shot. They made up their mind on Skronk before they even drafted him, so he's never gonna a shot.
Could be. But what if Duncan starts to look like a viable option at tackle? Maybe he has improved enough to say, “WTF?! Let’s just try and see what we have?” That would be one less position to worry about. I know it’s hard to imagine, but there are actual reasons why this coaching staff have made the decisions they have. We all thought it couldn’t get worse than Daley, but here we are. There isn’t an All Pro LT hiding on our practice squad.

I can buy that. But if that's true, I fear it could also mean we draft another LT in the top 10 next year, and still not be able to play him at LT. We could be stuck with weakness at the most important line position for a while....
Yep. That’s the gamble every team takes. Sucks when your team fails so often.

Could be. But what if Duncan starts to look like a viable option at tackle? Maybe he has improved enough to say, “WTF?! Let’s just try and see what we have?” That would be one less position to worry about. I know it’s hard to imagine, but there are actual reasons why this coaching staff have made the decisions they have. We all thought it couldn’t get worse than Daley, but here we are. There isn’t an All Pro LT hiding on our practice squad.

If you consider each players perceived talent by talent evaluators, Skoronski was one of the best in the draft while Duncan was a late round pick.

Now sure talent evaluators are wrong all the time. Just look at Brock Purdy. But given the Titans lack of development at the OL position under Vrabel, it really leads me to believe they don't have a clue.

What would it hurt to put him there and see if he's as good as he was in college at the NFL level? What do we lose by playing our 11th overall pick at his natural position?

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel with the $$$ the Titans have to spend this off season they should use some of it to sign Connor Williams. I can't stomach another season of Brewer as a starter. His lackluster performance is overshadowed by Dillard, but he's consistently been one of the weakest links on the line for several years now.

Latest posts

Back