What if the draft falls like this?

Williams
Maye
Daniels
Harrison
Alt
Fashanu
Nabors or Bowers @7?

I would absolutely trade back in this case to pick up a 3rd or even a 2nd depending how far back we trade. Grab one of right tackles (Latham, Fuaga, Mims). Pick up a WR in rnd 2 and Center in Rnd 3.

We have a need a both tackle spots and taking one of those 3 RTs would not be a bad alternative for an extra pick.

Maybe all the great ones had great TEs, but when were those TEs drafted..... Kelce 63, Kittle 146, Andrews 86, Schultz 137....from last draft Kincaid was late 1st and LaPorta early 2nd.... so a ton of great TEs actually are found later in the draft...only 6 TEs this century have been drafted top 10

But the main reason that you don't take a TE that high has to do with the salary cap... you need to spend that pick on a premium expensive position....getting that 5th yr option at an expensive position is key.... franchise tag for OL and WR this yr 22mil... tag for TEs 12mil.... draft your OT or WR early...

TEs also hit the FA market, while stud LTs and #1 WRs do not.

I think Bowers will be a very good player, but not at the 7th draft spot

Very good points.

I would absolutely trade back in this case to pick up a 3rd or even a 2nd depending how far back we trade. Grab one of right tackles (Latham, Fuaga, Mims). Pick up a WR in rnd 2 and Center in Rnd 3.

We have a need a both tackle spots and taking one of those 3 RTs would not be a bad alternative for an extra pick.
Need a willing partner. I am sure it will be considered if there is one. Deep OT draft this year and WR too. Not sure what a partner would move up for though

Not sure who knew AB had these kind of lists, but guess who made cracker of the month?
Not gonna lie, not really sure what the criteria for submission is.

could have had the ND dude instead of drafting a G last year
I really wanted Broderick Jones last year, who the Steelers ended up drafting (of course). If we had taken him, we at least would have RT solidified (but he played LT at Georgia, so maybe he could have even played LT for us), which is more important than having one of the guard spots solidified (ie Skoroniski).

I know Skoronski played LT in college and some have complained he should be given a shot there for the Titans, but nobody really mentions moving him to RT. If you draft Alt/Olu and move Skor to RT, you've got your bookends under contract for at least 4 years. Then, you just have to fix the interior of the OL, which is MUCH easier to do than fix the OT spots. High caliber OTs just don't come available very often in FA.

What’s Favre without Chumura, and Chumura’s babysitter with Mark.
What’s Marino without TE Miami (Keith Jackson for a short time)
Jim Kelly without Pete metzalaars
John Elway without the TE before Sharpe
Warner without TE LAR, NYG, ARZ
Moon without ???? Slaughter was sometimes listed as TE?
Rypien and Thiesmann without ???
Brady without Gronk and/or Hernandez (just 3x SB champ)
Wilson without TE Sea

Despite some examples, agree. “Necessary” to have great TE.

Wow, total disrespect for exemplary Oilers TEs Pat Carter and John Henry Mills!?!

Wow, total disrespect for exemplary Oilers TEs Pat Carter and John Henry Mills!?!
Not gonna lie, had to take a minute to look up what those guys actually did.

I though I remembered Pat Carter listed sometimes a “FB”
John Henry mills is actually listed as a LB. But that would negate his catch for 4 yds.
granted Houston probably just didn’t use him right, really took off in Minnesota with 3 catches and 30 yds (3 FD though).

Not gonna lie, had to take a minute to look up what those guys actually did.

I though I remembered Pat Carter listed sometimes a “FB”
John Henry mills is actually listed as a LB. But that would negate his catch for 4 yds.
granted Houston probably just didn’t use him right, really took off in Minnesota with 3 catches and 30 yds (3 FD though).

If memory serves, and it may not as I have drank since then, both were brought in (Pat signed, JHM drafted) as players to help transition away from the pure run-n-shoot and introduce more traditional elements into the Oilers offense at the time. JHM was almost the NFL equivalent to the 'athlete' designation you sometimes see in college, hence how and why he played all over the field.

If memory serves, and it may not as I have drank since then, both were brought in (Pat signed, JHM drafted) as players to help transition away from the pure run-n-shoot and introduce more traditional elements into the Oilers offense at the time. JHM was almost the NFL equivalent to the 'athlete' designation you sometimes see in college, hence how and why he played all over the field.
Now I can say that might be more a fisher thing.
He drafted that college TE to play DE or vice versa with something greater than an UDFA selection. That guy did Jack, and I questioned what Fisher was doing after that with every draft pick.

I would take Bowers in that spot. It’s going to take a couple of years to rebuild. Bowers could be awesome. All the great ones had great TEs. Even McNair had Wychek, who wasn’t great. What is Mahomes without Kelce? .

Looking at the top QBs all time in yardage.

Favre never really had an elite TE, at least for any consistent amount of time.

Big Ben never really had an elite TE at any point.

Rodgers never had a great TE.

Brees spent about half his career with Gates/Graham, but the other half without a very good TE. Won the SB without Jimmy Graham.

Peyton only ever had Clark at TE, who was solid, but not great. He really only had 2 really good years. The rest of the time he was an average TE.

Warner never had a great TE.

Stafford never had a great TE.

Eli never had a great TE.

The coaching staff was “ordered” by Bud to add a TE. They drafted JHM and threw a completion on the very first play of the game. He was then relegated to special teams.

In that situation I would be tempted to trade back. But I would be happier with taking Nabers, who would be the top WR off the board in pretty much any other draft in the last several years. He is right up there Jamaar Chase in terms of talent.

I want no part of Brock Bowers at that spot. I said the same thing in regards to Pitts a couple years back when the Falcons took him over Chase. You don't take TEs in the top 10 when there is an equal or better prospect at OT, Edge, or WR, (QB as well, but that is dependent on whether or not you have a good QB).

I would rather take Amarius Mims at 7 (which is a big reach) than to take Bowers at 7.

Well, since the OL thread has become a TE thread, I will say I doubt the previous profile of what a TE for the Titans should be will change under Callahan.

Latest posts

Back