Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Haven't looked at the top candidates, but I can tell you Bobby Slowik is high on the list for me. He was high on my OC wish list last off-season too.
My top 6

(No particular order)

Slowick
Bengals oc
Dolphins oc
Johnson

And two kinda wild cards...

Kalen DeBoer - everyone raves about his guy, and I like his offense.

Jim Bob cooter - he was a hot candidate recently, is from Tennessee, and did well as colts oc. Plus hiring him fucks the colts, which is always fun.

He'll make whatever team better

If they're a dumpster fire team, he'll get them playoff competitive quick, assuming decent drafting.

If there already a playoff caliber team, I don't believe he'll take them to the promised land. He can't hire staff for shit. Even his defense needed pees and Schwartz to function well.

I do agree that just dumping him without trading him (if it comes out that this is what happened) was stupid and lazy. Did he need to go? That is debatable, and honestly I did not have a strong opinion either way. He is great at firing up the team and keeping them in games, but his choices on assistants have been questionable. Until he gets past that stubborn streak he will remain a really good coach who can make a bad team ok, and ok team good, but not a good team great IMO.

That said, I am guessing that we will be deep into "rebuild" mode now....Ran and the new HC will have a deep checkbook to work with, so their shelf life may be short if we do not see tangible results within 1-2 years IMO.
This post nails it.

Both him and Eisen talk about Vrabel personality like that’s an irreplaceable thing without even mentioning the X’s and O’s.

you can be a great rah rah guy and have players follow you but if the scheme stinks and you hire assistant coaches with terrible game plans and all have lack of in-game adjustments, then who cares about motivation.

He's Nick siriani. Looks great with great assistants. Just a hype man without them.

He's Nick siriani. Looks great with great assistants. Just a hype man without them.
It might have been mcafee’s show but they were talking about how Vrabel isn’t a team rebuild type guy, he’s really good with a roster already built.

min not sure why that’s a vote for his talents and not a major shortcoming.

yeah- I agree mostly. But I think folks are quick to forget we were cap strapped and talent deficient due to JRob. Dumping the GM and the HC is simply a standard reset. Like JRob, the new GM has some cap space and although not a "king's ransom" of draft capital like JRob, a modest bit to get things improved. The HC will have a cupboard that is much fuller than Vrabel had in his last two years.

Well, a lot of that had to do with J Rob. How many first and second rounders were squandered? Ran had his vision for the team, Vrabel had his own. Ran was apparently able to convince Amy that his vision was the better one for the future. Ran wanted to blow things up for the 2023 season, Vrabel thought the Titans could compete with Tanny, etc. It's apparent Ran had the better vision for the future and Amy saw it that way too.

It might have been mcafee’s show but they were talking about how Vrabel isn’t a team rebuild type guy, he’s really good with a roster already built.

min not sure why that’s a vote for his talents and not a major shortcoming.

If that's true and he ends up in New England his tenure there will resemble the end of his tenure coaching the Titans. Their cupboard isn't exactly well stocked. They have no QB, their best RB is a washed Zeke, no receivers and holes all over the place.

If that's true and he ends up in New England his tenure there will resemble the end of his tenure coaching the Titans. Their cupboard isn't exactly well stocked. They have no QB, their best RB is a washed Zeke, no receivers and holes all over the place.
Agree, I do think they said the same but also added “you never want to be the coach after THE coach”.
Suggested Vrabel’s best options were LAC or LV.

not that I don’t like Vrabel at all, but I do hope he fails wherever he goes just to help solidify this move as a good move. Have no beef moving on, but it would look worse if he immediately has success.
As pointed out on another show, consider Andy Reid leaving Philly, eventually change just needs to happen, Vrabel isn’t Reid.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't at least wait a week or two and call Bob Kraft? Try to get a 2 or a 3 at least?

What's the harm? Most of the candidates we would want are in the playoffs anyway.
Well, here’s why that doesn’t work:

Titans: Hey Bob, any interest in trading for our head coach?

Pats: Heck yeah! We love that guy! We’d definitely give up multiple firsts to get him!

Titans: All right! Let’s do this!

Pats: Sweet! We just need to follow league protocol, interview several candidates (just to comply, you know) and we should get back to you in a couple of weeks.

Titans: But, why not just agree now?

Pats: well, per league rules, we can’t. So, we have to wait until all candidates have had the opportunity to interview with teams who have a head coach opening. Of course, by then you’ll be desperate to get rid of Vrabel so that you can actually interview candidates, so we won’t offer you crap for him. Why should we give you anything for a guy you don’t want?

Titans: You mean this doesn’t work like ignorant fans think it does? Crap.

Pats: Heck yeah! We love that guy! We’d definitely give up multiple firsts to get him!

Pats: Sweet! We just need to follow league protocol, interview several candidates (just to comply, you know) and we should get back to you in a couple of weeks.

Pats: well, per league rules, we can’t. So, we have to wait until all candidates have had the opportunity to interview with teams who have a head coach opening. Of course, by then you’ll be desperate to get rid of Vrabel so that you can actually interview candidates, so we won’t offer you crap for him. Why should we give you anything for a guy you don’t want?

Well said.

Or …. “ we love Vrabel, but we aren’t firing Bill. Maybe next year “

Or …. “ we love Vrabel, but we aren’t firing Bill. Maybe next year “
Could be. A problem the Patriots are going to have is that they are going to have to restructure their organization if they fire Bill. I really don’t think they want to give all power to their next guy, especially seeing how Bill did as GM without Brady.

Did you guys know that the Patriots have not signed a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round pick to a second contract since 2013? 10 years they have let all 1st through 3rd picks walk after their rookie contract expired. Thats insane!

Only 1 argument here.
Pats don’t care about rules.

Latest posts

Back