Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

No it really isn’t. It puts you in the Dennis Green, Jason Garret and Jim Caldwell area.

You need to be at or above .600 to be really good, which is 10 wins per season.

Coaches, Records, and Coaching Totals | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Just gonna throw this out there; out of the top 30 coaches in wins all-time, there are only a few (all “current” HCs with the exception of Dungy) who actually “average” 10 wins a season. They are: Belichick, Reid, Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Sean Payton, and Tony Dungy. It’s a lot harder to “average” 10 wins a season over a career than it seems.

Just gonna throw this out there; out of the top 30 coaches in wins all-time, there are only a few (all “current” HCs with the exception of Dungy) who actually “average” 10 wins a season. They are: Belichick, Reid, Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Sean Payton, and Tony Dungy. It’s a lot harder to “average” 10 wins a season over a career than it seems.
That’s one way to determine “great” HC.
Add the catalyst of 10 season Minimum and I don’t think many would argue that title.

That’s one way to determine “great” HC.
Add the catalyst of 10 season Minimum and I don’t think many would argue that title.
Agreed. But, that’s only 6 guys from the top 30 that actually average 10 wins a season. And, there are a lot of “great” coaches on that list.

I’m pretty sure that no one on this site would care about averaging 9 wins a season if one or two of those seasons included a Super Bowl trophy. Fisher would be considered one of the greats if he had 1 Lombardi trophy and the career that he had. Championships are really what matters.

need to punt another exhibition game... add another game and another bye...

this expands season 1 week but that is just more TV games... every team gets a bye between games 4-7 and 11-14. Could have whole divisions off at same time for fairness

I would also expand game day rosters first three games of season with a snap count on every player forcing teams to use the extra players...

OR instead of an extra bye dont allow players to play all 18 games... force them to miss 1 at some point of the season. That BU QB gonna start at least 1 game. Probably not a great idea but would be interesting how teams dealt with it.

GoT has ideas

if you look at the really good coaches, especially in the past 20-30 years, they’re all close to .600 or better. Which is 9.6 and 10.2 avg respectively for 16 and 17 game season.
There are a couple like Parcells and Vermeil who fall short but the vast majority are above the .600 mark.

Agreed. But, that’s only 6 guys from the top 30 that actually average 10 wins a season. And, there are a lot of “great” coaches on that list.

I’m pretty sure that no one on this site would care about averaging 9 wins a season if one or two of those seasons included a Super Bowl trophy. Fisher would be considered one of the greats if he had 1 Lombardi trophy and the career that he had. Championships are really what matters.
Out of the 30 coaches with most career wins 19 would win 10 games or more in a 17 game season. 24 would win 9.5.

Jeff Fisher, Dan Reeves, Tom Coughlin, John Fox and Marvin Lewis are the only coaches in the top 30 wins with a worse win percentage than Vrabel.

Out of the 30 coaches with most career wins 19 would win 10 games or more in a 17 game season. 24 would win 9.5.

Jeff Fisher, Dan Reeves, Tom Coughlin, John Fox and Marvin Lewis are the only coaches in the top 30 wins with a worse win percentage than Vrabel.
.600 win percentage and “averaging” 10 wins a season are two different things. I’ll stand by my original statement.

.600 win percentage and “averaging” 10 wins a season are two different things. I’ll stand by my original statement.
No it isn’t. 0.600 win percentage is literally averaging 10 wins out of 17 games. Doesn’t mean you get 10 wins every year, some you get more and some you get less, but the average is 10.

No it isn’t. 0.600 win percentage is literally averaging 10 wins out of 17 games. Doesn’t mean you get 10 wins every year, some you get more and some you get less, but the average is 10.
That’s not how math works.

The average of a set of numbers is the sum of those numbers divided by the total count of numbers. It gives you a single value that represents the typical value in the set.

A percentage, on the other hand, is a way to express a part of a whole as a fraction of 100. It is often used to compare one value to the whole, or to express a change or growth in a value over time.

If you want to know how many wins a coach “averages” over his career, you take the total number of games won and divide that by total seasons coached. The answer is the “average.”

That’s not how math works.

The average of a set of numbers is the sum of those numbers divided by the total count of numbers. It gives you a single value that represents the typical value in the set.

A percentage, on the other hand, is a way to express a part of a whole as a fraction of 100. It is often used to compare one value to the whole, or to express a change or growth in a value over time.

If you want to know how many wins a coach “averages” over his career, you take the total number of games won and divide that by total seasons coached. The answer is the “average.”
Ok lets try this.
A coach coaches 3 seasons of 17 games for a total of 51 games.
He wins 60% of them that’s 30 games.
How many wins did he average per season? 30 / 3 = 10.

You’re probably thinking of the median season wins which is different.

Doing total wins divided by seasons doesn’t allow you to compare across seasons with different number of games. But it actually is still close, BB coached for 29 seasons and won 302 games, whicj is 10 wins per season and since most of these were in 16 games seasons his win % is around 65%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok lets try this.
A coach coaches 3 seasons of 17 games for a total of 51 games.
He wins 60% of them that’s 30 games.
How many wins did he average per season? 30 / 3 = 10.

You’re probably thinking of the median season wins which is different.

Doing total wins divided by seasons doesn’t allow you to compare across seasons with different number of games. But it actually is still close, BB coached for 29 seasons and won 302 games, whicj is 10 wins per season and since most of these were in 16 games seasons his win % is around 65%.
You can try it any way you want. Percentages and averages are not the same thing.

Latest posts

Back