Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Guys... I was assured when I signed my contract with Go Titans that there would be NO MATHS. None. No computations, no calculations, no discussions of computations and calculations. Don't make me get my agent on the phone...

In this scenario they are. You cannot get 60% win ratio and not average 10 wins per 17 game season. It’s impossible but I’d like to see you come up with an example.
Don Shula coached 33 seasons and has 328 wins. That is 9.939 wins a year, average. Not 10. His win percentage is .677.

Guys... I was assured when I signed my contract with Go Titans that there would be NO MATHS. None. No computations, no calculations, no discussions of computations and calculations. Don't make me get my agent on the phone...
I hear that’s also what Vrabel told the FO when they were concerned about the playcalling percentages making the offense predictable…

You guys should add the playoff games in there too.
I know it’s an argument about math but the 10 game or .600 argument is regarding the regular season numbers.

as pointed out, 10 Wins won’t win you a SB when counting playoffs.

Don Shula coached 33 seasons and has 328 wins. That is 9.939 wins a year, average. Not 10. His win percentage is .677.
Because most of those seasons weren’t 17 games! But if you extrapolate all his seasons to 17 games, he would have averaged 11 wins per season. That’s how percentages work!

Because most of those seasons weren’t 17 games! But if you extrapolate all his seasons to 17 games, he would have averaged 11 wins per season. That’s how percentages work!
Okay. I’m not giving you another math lesson, because you aren’t willing to understand. This is a stupid argument anyway. No one actually cares about winning percentages or averages if a coach wins the Super Bowl. That’s what we all want.

Can you show your work here?

328 / 33 years = 9.39

I think you did 17(# of games) x .667 (win %) = 11.339 win per season.
But if you use the same formula backwards, 16 (games, no extrapolations) x .667 (win %) = 10.672 wins per season.
That’s the only way I can see how you got to 11 wins per season.

the other way I could see this done is 490 total games coached + 33 (1 more per year for 17 games) = 523.
To determine # of wins of those 33 games x .667 = 22.011 (22 wins)
22 + 328 = 350
350/ 33 = 10.6

Shula's record as head coach of the Dolphins (1970-95) and before that as head coach of the Colts (1963-69)
View attachment 21484
True, I used 16 games for all 33 seasons, wasn’t accurate. So the math of total games added to extrapolate a 17 game season each year would have more total games added.

so I’d add 7 more to 33 seasons (7 seasons were 14 games)
40 games plus 490 = 530.
40 x .667 = 26.68
26 + 328 = 354/ 33 = 10.73
27 + 328 = 355/ 33 = 10.75

There’s also playoffs to consider in that “total wins” category. All the more reason to not base a coach’s greatness on “average” wins or winning percentage, only.

328 / 33 years = 9.39

But if you use the same formula backwards, 16 (games, no extrapolations) x .667 (win %) = 10.672 wins per season.

the other way I could see this done is 490 total games coached + 33 (1 more per year for 17 games) = 523.
22 + 328 = 350
350/ 33 = 10.6

Of course I applied his win percentage to a 17 game season, otherwise you couldn't compare average wins per season, when they don't play the same number of games.
Shula's actual average wins is of course lower than todays coaches because the seasons were shorter. But for comparison, had they played 17 games a season, he would have averaged 11 (or thereabout) wins per season.

That's beauty of percentages, it doesn't matter how you divide the wins into seasons, the win percentage is the same whether applied to the total sum of games or the average individual season. If you win 50% you career games, you will also win 50% of the games in a season on average.

It's really not difficult to understand. In order to do a comparison you have to create an equal foundation.

328 / 33 years = 9.39

22 + 328 = 350
350/ 33 = 10.6

View attachment 21485

Of course I applied his win percentage to a 17 game season, otherwise you couldn't compare average wins per season, when they don't play the same number of games.
Shula's actual average wins is of course lower than todays coaches because the seasons were shorter. But for comparison, had they played 17 games a season, he would have averaged 11 (or thereabout) wins per season.

That's beauty of percentages, it doesn't matter how you divide the wins into seasons, the win percentage is the same whether applied to the total sum of games or the average individual season. If you win 50% you career games, you will also win 50% of the games in a season on average.

It's really not difficult to understand. In order to do a comparison you have to create an equal foundation.
But, you are making a false assumption that a coach’s winning percentage would stay the same over several “hypothetical” 17 game seasons. You can’t use percentage as a substitute for average in this case. I know you think it is easy to understand, but you aren’t really understanding your own argument.

Also, 17 games is the current regular season. Doesn’t include playoffs. How many times did a coach like Belichick or Shula actually coach 17 games in a season? Probably more than you realize, if playoffs are included. You need a better formula.

But, you are making a false assumption that a coach’s winning percentage would stay the same over several “hypothetical” 17 game seasons. You can’t use percentage as a substitute for average in this case. I know you think it is easy to understand, but you aren’t really understanding your own argument.

Also, 17 games is the current regular season. Doesn’t include playoffs. How many times did a coach like Belichick or Shula actually coach 17 games in a season? Probably more than you realize, if playoffs are included. You need a better formula.
From the numbers everyone was using, playoffs were not included.

I think I showed what you’re talking about too, percentage over 17 games vs the division over the entire career had different final numbers.
And included an assumption of the same winning percentage projected out through the difference in games.

Latest posts

Back