Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. It would need to be one part of a full philosophical change on offense.

But let’s be honest in that the goal of the new stadium is to fill it. I’ve been a fan of this franchise for a long time but this brand of football is often unwatchable even for me.
I think you can have a big time philosophy change and still keep Henry. I know his pay is up there, but he has the talent to be a huge part of a philosophy change too.

The biggest issue right now, aside from the D needing to get healthy, is this current OL (even before all the injuries) isn’t good for any philosophy.

I think you can have a big time philosophy change and still keep Henry. I know his pay is up there, but he has the talent to be a huge part of a philosophy change too.

The biggest issue right now, aside from the D needing to get healthy, is this current OL (even before all the injuries) isn’t good for any philosophy.
Henry would be an even bigger beast of we had an OL, WRs that could get separation and a QB that could get them the ball....too much to ask for?

Gore was a completely different running back. Henry is a one trick pony. Gore didn’t have to carry his entire offense on his back. Henry has been ran into the ground. He’s already showing signs of decline. He’s not gonna make it past 30. You can take that to the bank.
What signs?

It’s admittedly the worst OL in college football, I mean the pros, and Henry is #2 in rushing yards with 12 TDs and a 4.4 yard avg.
He’s increased the passing production.

His fumbles are the only piece I can see that he’s increased in a bad way and is entirely on him.

A lot of people may not like it but I like his attitude. Be thankful in all things. Regardless of the situation.
He should be thankful to be on a roster. I can appreciate that. I don’t know that he fully appreciates that he doesn’t belong on a roster at all, not just the chance to start.

Henry is basically a two down running back whose biggest benefit is his ability to break off explosive plays. He's not much of a threat in the passing game, and his ability to pass block is still what I believe is below average. His ability to break off explosive plays has been steadily decreasing the past couple of seasons and he has become basically a volume back who can occasionally break off a long run every now and then.

If Vrabel actually does allow for a big philosophy change on offense, then Henry would have no place on a more pass friendly team. Henry needs the current type of offensive philosophy, one that is predicated on him getting the ball constantly on first and second down, in order to succeed.

If AAS does mandate an offensive philosophy change, Henry's cap hit no longer becomes justifiable given the deficiencies all over the offense.

Last year we were the #1 seed in the AFC. Going into week 11 we were close to looking like we could possibly be at least a 2 or 3 seed. Now we may well be the worst team in the NFL. There is no team we can beat. I just don't know when I've ever seen that with ANY team. I don't know if I have it in me to watch another multi-year stretch of Titans as bottom dweller. I'm too old for this ****.
It’s the cycle. It’s why JRob was crying last year. He shot the cap wad (poorly) on injured former producers. Nobody hit. And he blew the recent drafts.

titans WILL be back and relevant in 2-3 years. AAS understands. I hope Vrabel will be here. He’s got to let his assistants go

Henry is basically a two down running back whose biggest benefit is his ability to break off explosive plays. He's not much of a threat in the passing game, and his ability to pass block is still what I believe is below average. His ability to break off explosive plays has been steadily decreasing the past couple of seasons and he has become basically a volume back who can occasionally break off a long run every now and then.

If Vrabel actually does allow for a big philosophy change on offense, then Henry would have no place on a more pass friendly team. Henry needs the current type of offensive philosophy, one that is predicated on him getting the ball constantly on first and second down, in order to succeed.

If AAS does mandate an offensive philosophy change, Henry's cap hit no longer becomes justifiable given the deficiencies all over the offense.
I disagree with you’re opening point entirely.
Just because d1ckface downing takes him out, doesn’t mean he’s not a 3 down back. If anything, I absolutely stand by the assumption that the 3rd down offense likely improves if they keep Henry out there over wasting plays with Haskins.

After his 48 yard run today, I also disagree he can’t have explosive plays anymore. Right now he can’t because of a lack of OL. The opportunity for a big run is only a couple times a game at best, titans OL is giving that opportunity once every 2-3 games currently.

And Vrabel will not change philosphy. That’s the point. Vrabel has to go for any change in philosphy.

What signs?

It’s admittedly the worst OL in college football, I mean the pros, and Henry is #2 in rushing yards with 12 TDs and a 4.4 yard avg.
He’s increased the passing production.

His fumbles are the only piece I can see that he’s increased in a bad way and is entirely on him.

You honestly can’t see he’s not the player he once was?

Last year we were the #1 seed in the AFC. Going into week 11 we were close to looking like we could possibly be at least a 2 or 3 seed. Now we may well be the worst team in the NFL. There is no team we can beat. I just don't know when I've ever seen that with ANY team. I don't know if I have it in me to watch another multi-year stretch of Titans as bottom dweller. I'm too old for this ****.
Yeah. I been a fan since the start of the team. I just want one Super Bowl win
Maybe any team that wins the Super Bowl is not allowed to win again until after the Titans win?
I dont know if I can go through another rebuild

As a separate complaint regarding the s**t OL, is pro bowler, Morgan Cox not able to do anything OL related? He’s the LS which makes me think he could fill in for C at least.

You honestly can’t see he’s not the player he once was?

Guy was head over heels. We've been blessed to have him. With Henry slowing down he looks like the every down RB you see.

He's not Henry anymore (which is expected) but he's also not worth a high pick solely based on his past.

Not having Henry anymore is equivalent to not having McNair. It's going to hurt.

Don't be surprised if he is released or traded for a bag of Doritos in the offseason.

As a separate complaint regarding the s**t OL, is pro bowler, Morgan Cox not able to do anything OL related? He’s the LS which makes me think he could fill in for C at least.
He weighs 241. That answer your question? Long snappers are not built like offensive linemen. Sometimes they are linebackers. They long snap. That’s it.

I disagree with you’re opening point entirely.
Just because d1ckface downing takes him out, doesn’t mean he’s not a 3 down back. If anything, I absolutely stand by the assumption that the 3rd down offense likely improves if they keep Henry out there over wasting plays with Haskins.

After his 48 yard run today, I also disagree he can’t have explosive plays anymore. Right now he can’t because of a lack of OL. The opportunity for a big run is only a couple times a game at best, titans OL is giving that opportunity once every 2-3 games currently.

And Vrabel will not change philosphy. That’s the point. Vrabel has to go for any change in philosphy.

I said his explosive plays were decreasing steadily, not that he can’t have them entirely. But he is a volume running back, he again leads the league in carries and will likely have over 300 by the end of the season. Henry needs a run heavy scheme to success and he has had that pretty much since he got into the league.

Heck, the whole team is constructed around Henry at this point. WR that pretty much can only run block, OL who are primarily run blockers, etc. Change the philosophy to more pass heavy, and Henry becomes less useful. He simply isn’t dynamic enough in the passing game, and that was the case before Downing took over as OC.

Given his age and the mileage he is enduring, the new GM needs to give strong thought to figuring out if Henry is worth the cap hit if there is a change in philosophy.

If Vrabel keeps it the same, then the Titans should keep Henry and get rid of Tannehill and try to find a bridge QB not named Willis, unless they are trying to tank.

Given the overall poor state of the offense (OL and WR) and aging players at QB and RB, I’m not sure a new GM can simply retool this roster.

I said his explosive plays were decreasing steadily, not that he can’t have them entirely. But he is a volume running back, he again leads the league in carries and will likely have over 300 by the end of the season. Henry needs a run heavy scheme to success and he has had that pretty much since he got into the league.

Heck, the whole team is constructed around Henry at this point. WR that pretty much can only run block, OL who are primarily run blockers, etc. Change the philosophy to more pass heavy, and Henry becomes less useful. He simply isn’t dynamic enough in the passing game, and that was the case before Downing took over as OC.

Given his age and the mileage he is enduring, the new GM needs to give strong thought to figuring out if Henry is worth the cap hit if there is a change in philosophy.

If Vrabel keeps it the same, then the Titans should keep Henry and get rid of Tannehill and try to find a bridge QB not named Willis, unless they are trying to tank.

Given the overall poor state of the offense (OL and WR) and aging players at QB and RB, I’m not sure a new GM can simply retool this roster.
I don’t think so on the volume either.

We actually saw great examples this year where he had 10-15 carries first half and was able to break 100 yards. Then for whatever reason Downing stopped using him.

Point is, if you were intent on building a passing offense, Henry getting 15 carries is still a very effective weapon and also gives the opportunity to go full rushing game and carry 40x.

I’m great with the strategy as long as it equals Ws. It’s be really disappointing to see the best RB Tennessee has ever had fall short of 10k and the records here.

The fact that he’s still argued as the best RB in the league speaks volumes to what a talent he is.

the thing is you are acting like pass happy teams don’t have running backs.

A great passing attack would actually open things up for Henry where he wouldn’t be running into a 7-8-9 man front.

You look at a guy like Pollard. Reason he has the lanes to run through is two fold. A good oline and a passing game.

If Henry had that, I guarantee you he’d be able to do the same with half the carries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back