Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can confirm. I'm still a die hard Astros and Rockets fan, so I'm in MANY Houston area sports social media sites, and they are happier today then I think they'd be if they just won the Superb Owl. I just started drinking so I feel a few online tiffs might be inevitable this evening.
Have a serious collection of Nolan Ryan baseball cards. 86 Astros were great- can still name the lineup nearly 40 years later! Allen Ashby anyone? Billy Doran, Kevin Bass, Mike Scott, Glenn Davis, Billy Hatcher…. Etc. Mets took us down and the Buckner boot… Went through my 60,000 cards recently for my Uncle’s grandchildren- Orioles/Dodgers. Pulled 4 for each- Kirk Gibson for the homer year, and Cal Ripken oldies. Nice to relive the thing i teally cared about as a high school student.

Have a serious collection of Nolan Ryan baseball cards. 86 Astros were great- can still name the lineup nearly 40 years later! Allen Ashby anyone? Billy Doran, Kevin Bass, Mike Scott, Glenn Davis, Billy Hatcher…. Etc. Mets took us down and the Buckner boot… Went through my 60,000 cards recently for my Uncle’s grandchildren- Orioles/Dodgers. Pulled 4 for each- Kirk Gibson for the homer year, and Cal Ripken oldies. Nice to relive the thing i teally cared about as a high school student.

I loved that 86 team, with Kevin Bass at the time being my all-time favorite Astro. And I remember being convinced (without having seen the movie because I was too young) that the movie Bull Durham had to have been based on Bill Doran, because the names were just too d@mn similar. I remember playing the Mets in 86 and seeing my mother, who I never knew to be a sports fan, wishing a pox upon Daryl Strawberry so that our Astros could advance. I started collecting baseball cards in 1987, and the 87 Topps cards are still to this day my absolute favorite card design. But I stopped after the one season when I discovered A) football cards and 2) comic books. My second all-time favorite card design is the 1993 Fleer football cards. I think they're beautiful just looking at them today.

I loved that 86 team, with Kevin Bass at the time being my all-time favorite Astro. And I remember being convinced (without having seen the movie because I was too young) that the movie Bull Durham had to have been based on Bill Doran, because the names were just too d@mn similar. I remember playing the Mets in 86 and seeing my mother, who I never knew to be a sports fan, wishing a pox upon Daryl Strawberry so that our Astros could advance. I started collecting baseball cards in 1987, and the 87 Topps cards are still to this day my absolute favorite card design. But I stopped after the one season when I discovered A) football cards and 2) comic books. My second all-time favorite card design is the 1993 Fleer football cards. I think they're beautiful just looking at them today.
That Billy Hatcher foul homer… my sands… what a game that was!

grandpa talk going on now

i was born in 86 you guys are reminiscing like it was "the good ole days" rofl
Just 50 and still a man! That was when baseball was baseball! Tried to walk on VT team. 17 pitches… threw mid 80s. I knew immediately x-no, but had the best curveball there. Never picked a baseball after.

Sold a bunch, bought a bunch. Still have a bunch. Probably around 5K, most of which are “named” guys, not many commons left.

If you asked me straight up who were on the 86’ Astros, I’d get a couple. Most of the names you mentioned are at least familiar even if I hadn’t thought of them for that roster.
I followed a lot of late 80’s early 90’s, the strike drove me away, McGwire/Maris brought me back, then the salary cap rigging of the league drove me away again around 2010-ish.
My favorite moment of the last 25 years is probably the Cueto game.

Saw Strawberry and Gooden here locally wirh the Tides. Played on that field getting a hit on on Wayne Ghomes… reliever for Philly.

That wooden panel around the outside is awesome.
Only recently added comic books to my collection. Had a small collection that I’ve kept but really recently bought a lot.

Just 50 and still a man! That was when baseball was baseball! Tried to walk on VT team. 17 pitches… threw mid 80s. I knew immediately x-no, but had the best curveball there. Never picked a baseball after.
I played for 10 years but knew I was done at 15. Girls and money (a job) took over.
Didn’t want to put in the extra work of off-season, only wanted to play the game, loved even practicing.

I pitched a few games with a specialty I call the “meatball”. I was very accurate but had very little mustard and never mastered any other pitch but fastball and it wasn’t fast.
I’d probably be ideal for hitting practice or would have been.
Played every position at least 1 full season.

If ya like a particular card, just ask
I look for graded cards cheap now. Maybe some newer football cards.
Have tons and tons of titans, specifically like 300 EG27, probably close to that many Mac9.
Lot of classics like Barry, Elway, Montana, rice, Favre, Marino.

have a few from the 70’s and older but nothing super particular.
I do have 1 card from, I believe 1919 though. Common player, but I’d have to look up the value now. 10 years ago it was like $75 or so.

I played for 10 years but knew I was done at 15. Girls and money (a job) took over.
Didn’t want to put in the extra work of off-season, only wanted to play the game, loved even practicing.

I pitched a few games with a specialty I call the “meatball”. I was very accurate but had very little mustard and never mastered any other pitch but fastball and it wasn’t fast.
I’d probably be ideal for hitting practice or would have been.
Played every position at least 1 full season.
Its funny, my uncle and i swing into an auto feed + net… his kids love it. It hurts me, but not so much anymore. They gonna be super excited for these cards, which many are over 40 years. Good chit all around!

That wooden panel around the outside is awesome.
Only recently added comic books to my collection. Had a small collection that I’ve kept but really recently bought a lot.

I started buying Transformers and GIJoe in the early 80s b/c A) I played with the toys and 2) because I had an older brother who started before me, and that eventually years later led to The Incredible Hulk, then Spider-man, then essentially everything else. Collected throughout the 90s and into the Oughts, until I bought my first house and quit cold-turkey. And never missed it oddly.

I started buying Transformers and GIJoe in the early 80s b/c A) I played with the toys and 2) because I had an older brother who started before me, and that eventually years later led to The Incredible Hulk, then Spider-man, then essentially everything else. Collected throughout the 90s and into the Oughts, until I bought my first house and quit cold-turkey. And never missed it oddly.
It’s an expensive hobby to go backwards into.
I try to find a couple that have specific milestones like first appearance Rogue and Gambit (my favorites) but I found a cool death of Red Skull (by Magneto) to be a cool story, and I have every Foolkiller comic, knock off Punisher.

It’s an expensive hobby to go backwards into.
I try to find a couple that have specific milestones like first appearance Rogue and Gambit (my favorites) but I found a cool death of Red Skull (by Magneto) to be a cool story, and I have every Foolkiller comic, knock off Punisher.

I actually remember FoolKiller, with the vest and mask and all. What's funny about him is I had no idea who he was until the first set of Marvel cards came out and was one of them. So I had to look up his book to find out who he was...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back