Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
what are you asking? What does it matter that we would be paying Jonnu Smith 11mil a year, or what does it mean what are we paying Henry?

Either way seems self explanatory to me..

We are really going to spend 11mil on a middle of the road TE when we need defensive help so bad?

or...

we pay Henry 12 mil a year and our entire offense is based off of him and we are supposed to pay some minor, 4th or 5th option (in passing), the same?

It’s not relevant what we are paying Henry. That’s my point. Now, in the context of defense I agree. But what we are paying Henry isn’t relevant to what the franchise tag is for Jonnu. The Tag is about $10 million. Market is $8 million.

I think he is more important than you.

what are you asking? What does it matter that we would be paying Jonnu Smith 11mil a year, or what does it mean what are we paying Henry?

Either way seems self explanatory to me..

We are really going to spend 11mil on a middle of the road TE when we need defensive help so bad?

or...

we pay Henry 12 mil a year and our entire offense is based off of him and we are supposed to pay some minor, 4th or 5th option (in passing), the same?
I’d rather trade a late round pick for three time pro bowler Zach Ertz on an $8 mill/yr deal.

It’s not relevant what we are paying Henry. That’s my point. Now, in the context of defense I agree. But what we are paying Henry isn’t relevant to what the franchise tag is for Jonnu. The Tag is about $10 million. Market is $8 million.

I think he is more important than you.
so you are trying to tell me you think Jonnu Smith is worth 10mil (according to google its over 11mil) a year?

TE franchise $11,076,000 transition $9,267,000

so you are trying to tell me you think Jonnu Smith is worth 10mil (according to google its over 11mil) a year?

Come on... worth ? What does worth have to do with what any of these guys get paid? Come on... please don’t go worth. You can’t franchise a defensive player who isn’t ours. So it’s not relevant. We need a good TE. Who is going to play TE if we let Jonnu walk. Whether you like it or not Jonnu is the top FA TE on the market. We need him more than you think. Plus you are still forgetting we can tag him and trade him for draft picks or pick. Let’s see what they do before we freak out.

Franchise, Transition and RFA Tenders | Over the Cap

NFL Franchise Tag: What it is and how it works | PFN

NFL franchise tags, explained: Meaning, deadlines, updated position values & rules for tags in 2021

There are 3 articles which plainly out the tag at &10.1 million. Not $11. But who is counting?

We will just have to agree to disagree. I feel like only an idiot would consider paying JS 10mil a year. Hopefully JRob isnt an idiot.

This is at least 2x more than Smith is worth, for either.

Using a tag on Smith is a terrible idea. Not only would we over pay the guy by a lot, JRob would also be spending the limited cap space on a dude that isn’t needed while neglecting the giant lack of Defense.

The suggestion to trade him is pretty ridiculous too. What possible value does J smith have? 4th maybe?

Come on... worth ? What does worth have to do with what any of these guys get paid? Come on... please don’t go worth. You can’t franchise a defensive player who isn’t ours. So it’s not relevant. We need a good TE. Who is going to play TE if we let Jonnu walk. Whether you like it or not Jonnu is the top FA TE on the market. We need him more than you think. Plus you are still forgetting we can tag him and trade him for draft picks or pick. Let’s see what they do before we freak out.

Franchise, Transition and RFA Tenders | Over the Cap

NFL Franchise Tag: What it is and how it works | PFN

NFL franchise tags, explained: Meaning, deadlines, updated position values & rules for tags in 2021

There are 3 articles which plainly out the tag at &10.1 million. Not $11. But who is counting?
Firkser
Pruitt
Swaim

That’s fine on it’s own, but another TE can be had for cheaper. It was mentioned earlier, how much is DW if he’s willing to come back? No way he’s getting $10 mil and that’s with a career of actual production.

Yeah Jonnu isn’t worth $11M. Not many TE’s in the NFL are worth that. I’m surprised the tag number is so high for TE’s. I guess the Kittle and Kelce contracts have inflated things a bit.

Firkser
Pruitt
Swaim

That’s fine on it’s own, but another TE can be had for cheaper. It was mentioned earlier, how much is DW if he’s willing to come back? No way he’s getting $10 mil and that’s with a career of actual production.

That’s fine. My point is 2.

Jonnu is more important to our offense than most understand. His yardage totals are uninspiring, but he is a matchup problem for a lot of teams and he is great in the red zone. We tag him and sign him to a more cap friendly deal. Teams tag player and sign them to deals all the time. Most Titan fans think Frank Wycheck was a god. Jonnu is a better tight end than he was. If we let him walk and he blows up watch all the people in here calling for Jrobs head for not signing him.

2nd.. why would we let this guy walk for nothing? Lots of teams will be after him. If we could get say a mid rounder or something? Why not? But you can’t trade him unless he is under contract.

Who knows what they do? I’m going to wait and see. I don’t want to lose any weapons from the offense.

Do I want to pay him $10 million? Nope. It would make him the 5thish highest paid TE in the league, but I don’t want him going to the Colts or Jags either. Tag him and you can have some control over where he goes.

That’s fine. My point is 2.

Jonnu is more important to our offense than most understand. His yardage totals are uninspiring, but he is a matchup problem for a lot of teams and he is great in the red zone. We tag him and sign him to a more cap friendly deal. Teams tag player and sign them to deals all the time. Most Titan fans think Frank Wycheck was a god. Jonnu is a better tight end than he was. If we let him walk and he blows up watch all the people in here calling for Jrobs head for not signing him.

2nd.. why would we let this guy walk for nothing? Lots of teams will be after him. If we could get say a mid rounder or something? Why not? But you can’t trade him unless he is under contract.

Who knows what they do? I’m going to wait and see. I don’t want to lose any weapons from the offense.

Do I want to pay him $10 million? Nope. It would make him the 5thish highest paid TE in the league, but I don’t want him going to the Colts or Jags either. Tag him and you can have some control over where he goes.
He had his “breakout” year with 8 TD. A total of 8 the previous 3 years.
Smith is extremely replaceable. Let him hit FA, let teams fight after him, he’s not worth half those tag prices.

No one has ever thought wycheck a god. Literally no one. But he was better than smith. Not a great bar.

Players leave the titans and “blow up” all the time. It happens. If Smith isn’t going to get used in the fashion you think his talents represent, then why bother signing him?
I also don’t think he’s worth a mid round pick. 4th is the highest I could see, but I don’t think teams would trade for him.

I do agree on your point of tagging him to work a long term deal for cheaper, but when he has a $9-10 mil deal for this year sitting there, can’t see him signing for a whole lot less overall, just spaced out more. Still overpriced.

He had his “breakout” year with 8 TD. A total of 8 the previous 3 years.
Smith is extremely replaceable. Let him hit FA, let teams fight after him, he’s not worth half those tag prices.

No one has ever thought wycheck a god. Literally no one. But he was better than smith. Not a great bar.

Players leave the titans and “blow up” all the time. It happens. If Smith isn’t going to get used in the fashion you think his talents represent, then why bother signing him?
I also don’t think he’s worth a mid round pick. 4th is the highest I could see, but I don’t think teams would trade for him.

I do agree on your point of tagging him to work a long term deal for cheaper, but when he has a $9-10 mil deal for this year sitting there, can’t see him signing for a whole lot less overall, just spaced out more. Still overpriced.

I don’t completely disagree. I just don’t think we are going to be very happy with what we have without him. I don’t think 82 year old Delanie Walker is the answer either. Who knows....

Theres so many tricky pieces of the salary cap.
1. The cap is viewed on a 4 year snap shot.
2. Previous years unused cap is rolled over
3. Teams can easily turn money into gauranteed bonuses that they pay the player now, while pushing the rest of their salary to future years. Meaning, the player sees the same money they would have but the team gets more space.

The Colts and Jags dont have to do the financial gymnastics we do, but we have plenty of tools to make the moves we need to make. It really just depends on how much we are willing to push the chips in on the next year or two. And with AJB on a rookie deal, Henry in the last few years of his prime, and a couple years left on our QBs deal.... I dont think going all in is a bad move.

That said, big free agent signings ALMOST never equate to next year team success. I'm for bringing back our guys, finding some roll players, and drafting our big needs.

Why would Tannehill restructure, he just signed that deal.
He can make just as much money but have it converted to gauranteed, while the team pushes the cap hit out to future years. Not saying we will or should, just that we can and Tannehill has plenty of reason to agree.

Jonnu Smith's projected market value in free agency

says around 8mil a year.

also this tidbit which someone said earlier...

If the Titans aren’t going to utilize Smith’s freakish athletic abilities more, it makes no sense to pay him that kind of money. Instead, the Titans should use those resources elsewhere and opt for a cheaper starting tight end who can block and has a reliable set of hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back