Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stand corrected, Amy Adams Strunk. But I would challenge the notion that "everything's changed". Oilers / Titans have one Super Bowl appearance and lost. Aside from that all has been completely the same. Some .500 seasons mixed in with "one and done" playoff appearances. And every 10 years they might win one playoff game. Nothing has changed. Just "we'll get em next year" and our devoted fans filled with hopeium. I know what to expect every year, but you all deserve a super bowl win!
I think there are some good changes since she took over, none that have resulted in a SB, yet.

Bud jumped in and trumped the people he hired to ensure we wasted a pick on VY. It seems AAS is willing to let the people she hired do their job and differently than Smith, isn’t just playing the nice guy. She will fire if there are not quantifiable improvements. We saw that with Mularkey getting fired after a playoff visit and win.

may not be best ownership, but looks like a two in the right direction from Bud and the cluster after him.

I stand corrected, Amy Adams Strunk. But I would challenge the notion that "everything's changed". Oilers / Titans have one Super Bowl appearance and lost. Aside from that all has been completely the same. Some .500 seasons mixed in with "one and done" playoff appearances. And every 10 years they might win one playoff game. Nothing has changed. Just "we'll get em next year" and our devoted fans filled with hopeium. I know what to expect every year, but you all deserve a super bowl win!
Before Strunk took over we had 4 losing seasons in a row and had the cart was in the ditch. She isn’t afraid to make the tough firings and shake things up. This year was mostly injury driven, but the personnel responsible for the roster issues, JR, was shown the door. We haven’t arrived yet, but she is on the right track.

Vrabel is still the head coach though. I promise we will still be heavy on the run.

I will argue that. We will run a lot less. Not that we won’t run. It we won’t be the same team. Im not claiming we will be good at it. But we won’t be so predictable. The Titans will become a passing team under Kelly.

Todd Downing got a job as a passing game coordinator. If that isn't ironic, I don't know what is!
Considering the team and their QB situation, this may be the perfect match.
Downing doesn’t like to throw and they don’t have anyone to throw the ball.

“hey Downing, we should pass here” - OC maybe

“No we shouldn’t. Just run.” - Downing.

perfect pass game coordinator.

Downing as a passing game coordinator:. Draws a play with 2 WRs doing 3 yard curls routes in crayon ... "Run this baby on 3rd and 13!"

I think there are some good changes since she took over, none that have resulted in a SB, yet.

Bud jumped in and trumped the people he hired to ensure we wasted a pick on VY. It seems AAS is willing to let the people she hired do their job and differently than Smith, isn’t just playing the nice guy. She will fire if there are not quantifiable improvements. We saw that with Mularkey getting fired after a playoff visit and win.

may not be best ownership, but looks like a two in the right direction from Bud and the cluster after him.
Good point, hopefully we see our Titans get a SB before I die.

This is definitely worth watching

He basically said Tim Kelly and Downing ran the same plays. . .

Still don't know how much influence a "passing game coordinator" actually has on game day.

Are they responsible for the passing plays in general and the OC picks from their plays?

He basically said Tim Kelly and Downing ran the same plays. . .

Still don't know how much influence a "passing game coordinator" actually has on game day.

Are they responsible for the passing plays in general and the OC picks from their plays?
The passing game coordinator helps with play design, works with the QB and receivers in practice and helps with scripting the opening drive. All that garbage playcalling last year was Downing. Texans offense under Kelly was more effective with sub average talent.

If you were an OC and not amazingly proficient then it would be insane to not evolve and change your approach and tactics, IF you aspire to be a HC someday and not demoted back down to passing game coordinator or lower.

The passing game coordinator helps with play design, works with the QB and receivers in practice and helps with scripting the opening drive. All that garbage playcalling last year was Downing. Texans offense under Kelly was more effective with sub average talent.
Paraphrasing from an article on the official Titans app: "Kelly helped put together the first and second down passing game along with OC Downing"

So he was basically the "passing game coordinator" of the worst passing game in the league, it seems... And the video compares his play design to Downings.

And of course, Vrabel said he likes that Kelly will have some carry over and he doesn't think the offense is broken.

Not very exciting for a Titans fan. But we'll see if Kelly can at least do better at calling the plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back