Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Yea… that’s just a bit of an exaggeration. He had a DWI and took responsibility. He was involved in an accident. Not a 140 MPH Police Chase.

He was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year.

Isaiah Wilson as a POS with no work ethic. That’s not this guy. There should be no Isiah Wilson vibes. Just the DWI similarities.

Going to save this message.

We shall see.

Yea… that’s just a bit of an exaggeration. He had a DWI and took responsibility. He was involved in an accident. Not a 140 MPH Police Chase.

He was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year.

Isaiah Wilson as a POS with no work ethic. That’s not this guy. There should be no Isiah Wilson vibes. Just the DWI similarities.
It honestly takes some work to be as bad as Wilson. Dude saw that first check and gave up.

He has to get some weight off and stay on his cardio work. The physical demands of being an NFL IDL will LITERALLY kill him if he doesn’t. Big Jeff should be a great mentor. I liked he stated he knows he’ll be a HOFer after he gets down below 350lbs.

Sweat has the potential to wreck opposing offensive lines. If he sheds some weight and puts in effort he's going to become a key component of the defense. The guy is large enough to fill two gaps all by himself, he can push the pocket and will allow Big Jeff to not be erased from games by constant double teaming as we witnessed last season. Sweat is a late bloomer, a 3 star recruit who only began to flash as a Junior, as a Senior he became a first team all-american and outland trophy winner. He has only begun to scratch the surface.

Horrible reach for the Titans. They got another Albert Haynesworth….minus the pro bowls and all pros.

Big boy can’t stop….wont stop…

giphy.gif

God damn. Some of the over reactions on this pick I've witnessed across social media are mildly entertaining. "OMG A NT in the 2nd?!?", "The guy just had a DUI he's the next Wilson!!!11!", "The reach of all reaches", etc.

Why did the Titans draft this guy?

Big Jeff's life will be significantly easier with Sweat. The NFL has undoubtedly evolved, however the game is still won and lost in the trenches. With the first two selections the Titans added some extremely large human beings into the trenches. Just sit back and let things play out before melting down.

Agree. Based on where they were drafted I would now say that the QBs with the best odds to succeed are Maye and Penix(eventually). Not sure about Daniels, but Commanders don't seem to be a good place for a QB to develop either.
I think the skins have done pretty well to clean up their mess. Not sure it’s entirely cleaned but daniels should be the first guy with a shot to develop with a team around them.
They made a lot of moves, it’s not 2020 but they should still be some quality players.

eagles are favorites there, skins may get #2. Giants have nothing going, and Dallas’s “all in” must be a tank thing, they did nothing but lose players.

View attachment 21776
God damn. Some of the over reactions on this pick I've witnessed across social media are mildly entertaining. "OMG A NT in the 2nd?!?", "The guy just had a DUI he's the next Wilson!!!11!", "The reach of all reaches", etc.

Why did the Titans draft this guy?

Big Jeff's life will be significantly easier with Sweat. The NFL has undoubtedly evolved, however the game is still won and lost in the trenches. With the first two selections the Titans added some extremely large human beings into the trenches. Just sit back and let things play out before melting down.

problem is there are legit questions about his work ethic and how talented he actually is…and if he can even play more than 2 downs in a pass happy league. Kid was brought in to Texas as a 3 star 255 lb DL..

Then basically spent 3 years at Texas unable to get on the field at DL for any significant level of impact……..and when he did get on, he did nothing of note really. Then in his 5th year, he goes super saiyan, puts on over 100 lbs of…”muscle”, turns into butterbean..and dominates a rather weak Big 12. Only 18 total starts in 5 damn years. There’s also a real question as to who was the real talent..him or his 2nd team all -American and 2023 big 12 lineman of the year counterpart Byron Murphy who was a true Jr. and went 22 slots ahead of him. Is his dominance tied to his girth, or actual strength…we don’t know b/c he didn’t do bench at the NFL combine lol. Getting him leaner to be able to play more than 2 downs more consistently……..which undoubtedly is what you guys’ S&C team will want to do…does that fundamentally change who he is as a player for worse?

you add in the recent off-field stuff, his rather unimpressive tape, and where Kris Jenkins went… this kid just wasn’t a 2nd round draft pick.

problem is there are legit questions about his work ethic and how talented he actually is…and if he can even play more than 2 downs in a pass happy league. Kid was brought in to Texas as a 3 star 255 lb DL..

Then basically spent 3 years at Texas unable to get on the field at DL for any significant level of impact……..and when he did get on, he did nothing of note really. Then in his 5th year, he goes super saiyan, puts on over 100 lbs of…”muscle”, turns into butterbean..and dominates a rather weak Big 12. Only 18 total starts in 5 damn years. There’s also a real question as to who was the real talent..him or his 2nd team all -American and 2023 big 12 lineman of the year counterpart Byron Murphy who was a true Jr. and went 22 slots ahead of him. Is his dominance tied to his girth, or actual strength…we don’t know b/c he didn’t do bench at the NFL combine lol. Getting him leaner to be able to play more than 2 downs more consistently……..which undoubtedly is what you guys’ S&C team will want to do…does that fundamentally change who he is as a player for worse?

you add in the recent off-field stuff, his rather unimpressive tape, and where Kris Jenkins went… this kid just wasn’t a 2nd round draft pick.

He was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. Won the Outland Trophy. You need work ethic to accomplish that.

Let’s not make a big deal out of “ starts “. So he didn’t play the first defensive play of the game. He doesn’t miss much and doesn’t appear to have injury issues.

503 snaps in 2023 14 games. 35 per game
464 snaps in 2022. 13 games 35 per game
315 snaps in 2021 12 games 26 per game

I fairly certain the Titans staff is comfortable with his work ethic and what they can do with him. They spent a lot of time with him including the day after his DWI. They visited his hometown. He has stated his need to drop weight. What you described looked like a kid who worked hard to get better. He got better every year. He added weight when he apparently needed to.

The DWI does t scare me. He took responsibility. He didn’t run. Hell, the accident wasnt even his fault. He was rear ended. His BAC was 0.105. He should NOT have been driving.

Is he a reach. On paper a little bit. But this is why Ran gets paid. To know things we don’t. If he screws up. He will get fired to.

Keep in mind, Jeffery Simmons beat a woman in a college bar fight. How did that work out?

He was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. Won the Outland Trophy. You need work ethic to accomplish that.

Let’s not make a big deal out of “ starts “. So he didn’t play the first defensive play of the game. He doesn’t miss much and doesn’t appear to have injury issues.

503 snaps in 2023 14 games. 35 per game
464 snaps in 2022. 13 games 35 per game
315 snaps in 2021 12 games 26 per game

I fairly certain the Titans staff is comfortable with his work ethic and what they can do with him. They spent a lot of time with him including the day after his DWI. They visited his hometown. He has stated his need to drop weight. What you described looked like a kid who worked hard to get better. He got better every year. He added weight when he apparently needed to.

The DWI does t scare me. He took responsibility. He didn’t run. Hell, the accident wasnt even his fault. He was rear ended. His BAC was 0.105. He should NOT have been driving.

Is he a reach. On paper a little bit. But this is why Ran gets paid. To know things we don’t. If he screws up. He will get fired to.

Keep in mind, Jeffery Simmons beat a woman in a college bar fight. How did that work out?

fair enough..but he’s ALSO stated that he feels “comfortable” playing at 360 lbs….that ain’t “working hard to get better” ….You don’t need work ethic to get fat. He wasn’t good enough to get on the field consistently in 3 years there & make an impact regardless of what his snap counts say. putting on that kind of weight isn’t natural. Furthermore if the weight he put on was supposedly him grinding hard to get better, why is he according to you now saying that he needs to lose some of it? Why not keep it..

Titans seem as if they got tunnel vision on this one. Panicked and reached for a guy ALREADY on Gooddell’s radar for discipline. I’m sure every FO did what the titans’ FO did more or less.

Simmons is a bad man no doubt, but he’s playing at nearly 50 lbs lighter and is light years more twitchy than this kid. How they watched that semifinal game against the Huskies and came away thinking this kid was worth anything more than a 3rd is beyond me…0 impact in the biggest game of the season…& that’s typically how it was with him.
Piled up stats against mostly bad teams in the big 12 & disappeared in the big games.

The team needed someone that could be on the DL with Simmons. There may have been other choices for a skill position, but it’s not always about a splashy name that gets the media drooling. Seems no matter what the Titans do it’s always doom and gloom and a reach.

I will be basing the value of this kid to some former 2nd round DTs the Titans have picked - John Thornton, Jason Jones, and the dreadful Kevin Dodd. I’m hopeful he can surpass their levels and be more like Tony Brown was when lined up with Haynesworth. Time will tell.

fair enough..but he’s ALSO stated that he feels “comfortable” playing at 360 lbs….that ain’t “working hard to get better” ….You don’t need work ethic to get fat. He wasn’t good enough to get on the field consistently in 3 years there & make an impact regardless of what his snap counts say. putting on that kind of weight isn’t natural. Furthermore if the weight he put on was supposedly him grinding hard to get better, why is he according to you now saying that he needs to lose some of it? Why not keep it..

Titans seem as if they got tunnel vision on this one. Panicked and reached for a guy ALREADY on Gooddell’s radar for discipline. I’m sure every FO did what the titans’ FO did more or less.

Simmons is a bad man no doubt, but he’s playing at nearly 50 lbs lighter and is light years more twitchy than this kid. How they watched that semifinal game against the Huskies and came away thinking this kid was worth anything more than a 3rd is beyond me…0 impact in the biggest game of the season…& that’s typically how it was with him.
Piled up stats against mostly bad teams in the big 12 & disappeared in the big games.
It's ok to have an opinion, reality was he was rated the #2 DT on some sites, and the Titans didn't have a 3rd. Is it a reach? I don't think so because we got a solid need from one of the top DTs. You can say he's going to be a bust, but if he's taking two lineman so Simmons can rush that's what they're looking for. I believe they wanted a big lane clogger. If they didn't get a good enough offer to move down and get their guy and took who we wanted, I can't be upset with that until he busts. By the Titans 3rd round pick 7-8 DTs would have been off the board.

Outland trophy winner. Sweat isn't a chump.

Latest posts

Back