Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

I didn't want Odunze either. Fashanu was widely considered the 2nd best LT in this class. I wanted either Fashanu or Bowers, or preferably trade down.

The position switch is not a cup out. Everything is completely flipped moving from 1 side to the other. That makes 2 straight years we've taken an OL with our first pick and didn't intend to have him play his primary position.

Fashanu already got hurt at combine. And isn’t nearly the athlete that Latham is. Every o-lineman other than Alt and Latham has questions. Latham is a beast.

I didn't want Odunze either. Fashanu was widely considered the 2nd best LT in this class. I wanted either Fashanu or Bowers, or preferably trade down.

The position switch is not a cup out. Everything is completely flipped moving from 1 side to the other. That makes 2 straight years we've taken an OL with our first pick and didn't intend to have him play his primary position.

Just because we’ve taken o-linemen 2 years in a row doesn’t mean anything. Our line was depleted so yeah we need to spend draft capital on that position.

And you don’t take tight ends in the first round that high. That would’ve been a huge reach.

[

Switching from RT in college to LT in the NFL isn't unheard of. Also, many LTs in college are switched to RT in the NFL. Does that mean every LT turned RT is going to fail? Or is that only when you go right to left?
Doubt it had much effect but Latham played the LT on FG unit at Bama.
Not sure how they decided to do just that but I guess that was some LT work.

Doubt it had much effect but Latham played the LT on FG unit at Bama.
Not sure how they decided to do just that but I guess that was some LT work.

I am not so worried about what part of the line he plays. I am just glad the titans are getting some big nastys on the line. I guarantee you that when the season begins and our oline is raking ain’t nobody gunna be mad about it.
I can’t wait to see Latham bullying people.

Sucks that the QB frenzy didn't play out like a lot of people were predicting. Nabers and Alt being off the board was a tough spot. Obviously would have liked to trade back at that point, but I don't know who their partner would have been. Atlanta wasn't worried about Penix being gone, and I doubt the Vikings were worried about missing McCarthy either.

Personally, would have liked to see them just go ahead and take Bowers at #7. But I think they picked Bill Callahan's choice. Sounds like he is convinced he can make a LT out of this guy

Sucks that the QB frenzy didn't play out like a lot of people were predicting. Nabers and Alt being off the board was a tough spot. Obviously would have liked to trade back at that point, but I don't know who their partner would have been. Atlanta wasn't worried about Penix being gone, and I doubt the Vikings were worried about missing McCarthy either.

Personally, would have liked to see them just go ahead and take Bowers at #7. But I think they picked Bill Callahan's choice. Sounds like he is convinced he can make a LT out of this guy
Ran said we actually had multiple offers from multiple teams but decided to pick instead

My year-long rant has been about how can it be possible that each year only 1 or 2 college LT can play LT in the NFL. And how we keep taking guys that played LT and moving them away from.LT because they cant handle that position in the pros.

So now, drafting a RT at #7 and moving him to LT is funny as hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ran said we actually had multiple offers from multiple teams but decided to pick instead
Unless we know what the offers were and from who, then there isn't much to really take from that. If Latham was their guy, and it sounds like he was, then they did the right thing by drafting him IMO.

[

Switching from RT in college to LT in the NFL isn't unheard of. Also, many LTs in college are switched to RT in the NFL. Does that mean every LT turned RT is going to fail? Or is that only when you go right to left?

I understand that. But that makes them a riskier pick having never played the position in college. And LT's that move to RT typically have an easier transition.

Tyron Smith play 0 snaps at LT at USC and was swapped to the left side by then Cowboys OL coach, Bill Callahan.

Current Browns LT Jedrick Willis ply 0 snaps at LT for Alabama and was transitioned to LT by then Browns OL coach, Bill Callahan.

Still would've taken Odunze but at least Poppa Cally has successfully done this exact thing before.

Man, when you realize the draft is basically just watching people pick their teams during gym class, it makes arguing about who they picked seem a little ridiculous.

Fashanu already got hurt at combine. And isn’t nearly the athlete that Latham is. Every o-lineman other than Alt and Latham has questions. Latham is a beast.

Disagree heavily. Fashanu is an incredible athlete. And he allowed zero sacks in college. The main issue with Fashanu was his run blocking needed work. And that's the least important aspect of a LT.

Just because we’ve taken o-linemen 2 years in a row doesn’t mean anything. Our line was depleted so yeah we need to spend draft capital on that position.

And you don’t take tight ends in the first round that high. That would’ve been a huge reach.

You missed the point. The issue isn't taking OL 2 straight years. It's taking OL 2 straight that played different positions in college than you plan on them playing in the NFL. If you want a LT, draft the best LT available. If you want a G, draft the best G available. Stop with this development BS.

You missed the point. The issue isn't taking OL 2 straight years. It's taking OL 2 straight that played different positions in college than you plan on them playing in the NFL. If you want a LT, draft the best LT available. If you want a G, draft the best G available. Stop with this development BS.
I don't think the distinction between lt and rt matters as much as it used to, and plenty of these guys can play both sides. So just taking the best tackle period makes sense to me. If he works out at left thats great, if not it should still be a huge upgrade on the right side.

Disagree heavily. Fashanu is an incredible athlete. And he allowed zero sacks in college. The main issue with Fashanu was his run blocking needed work. And that's the least important aspect of a LT.
He has 8 inch hands. Latham has 11 inch hands. We want a powerful offensive line and that's what we're getting with Latham.

We're obviously switching offensive philosophy which is great. But that doesn't mean we have to completely go away from the Titans reputation of being a tough, physical football team.

I'm sure they considered trade offers that would realistically let them still get their guy at 8-13. Got to have the right partner.

Was there a better G than Ski?

Latest posts

Back