Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of this is true. I didn’t feel like putting in the effort to list every single QB bust who had a “high ceiling” though. History says this is a useless pick.

Its a lottery ticket for sure. It's more likely that willis busts than that he succeeds.

But that's true of every qb pick. Better to do it in the third than the first. We need one. If we get lucky and willis pans out, man do we have a bright future.

If not, oh well, we missed on the next Dez Fitzpatrick.

Watched 3 tapes, Willis vs Ol Miss: Lamar Jackson vs Miss State (and big Jeff) and Kyler Murray vs Bama.....to me the ceiling for Malik is a player between Murray and Lamar Jackson.

His running ability is as good or better than Murray IMO but not on the level of Jackson. His arm is as good or better than Jackson's but better accuracy. Better arm strength than Murray but not as accurate.

Decision making is on par with Jackson coming out but I didn't see the air mail like Jackson was notorious for. He does tend to runs around and will try to make a play even if it's not a smart play. That said he was running for his life on most snaps against ol Miss with horrible pass pro from his line. If he can develop to be a Kyler Murray/Lamar Jackson esque player, then we got a steal!

This is all based on limited video of the 3 and just a gut reaction. It really depends on how he picks up a pro level offense which he will need a minimum a year but probably 2 to be ready to play.

No doubt there will be a 4th a short package for him and Henry with is running ability!

Mike Vick was born about 15 years too early. OCs didn't know how adapt his skill set to NFL offenses. They just kept trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. He would dominate in today's NFL, though. The read option has allowed for unpolished, athletic QBs like Lamar, Allen, and even Hurts to have a lot of success early in their careers.
Disagree.
Vick existed before Vick just had a different name and was a much, much better passer, Cunningham. There’s others comparable as well maybe not as overall notable.

OCs chose to let him run, at least the best teams, like Tennessee did to Baltimore in the div round 19’. Go ahead and run all over the place, unless it equals points, it doesnt matter. That’s the story of all his post season appearances anyway.

I do agree though, like many not very good QB that existed before all the passing rules that makes marginal QBs look better, he would look better today.

Watched 3 tapes, Willis vs Ol Miss: Lamar Jackson vs Miss State (and big Jeff) and Kyler Murray vs Bama.....to me the ceiling for Malik is a player between Murray and Lamar Jackson.

His running ability is as good or better than Murray IMO but not on the level of Jackson. His arm is as good or better than Jackson's but better accuracy. Better arm strength than Murray but not as accurate.

Decision making is on par with Jackson coming out but I didn't see the air mail like Jackson was notorious for. He does tend to runs around and will try to make a play even if it's not a smart play. That said he was running for his life on most snaps against ol Miss with horrible pass pro from his line. If he can develop to be a Kyler Murray/Lamar Jackson esque player, then we got a steal!

This is all based on limited video of the 3 and just a gut reaction. It really depends on how he picks up a pro level offense which he will need a minimum a year but probably 2 to be ready to play.

No doubt him there will be a 4th a short package for him and Henry with is running ability!

Yeah, it's hard to judge watching him run around with future missionaries and car salesmen, but I think you're about right.

No doubt there will be a 4th a short package for him and Henry with is running ability!
Has this board turned a corner on LJ? Up until this draft pick, I’ve read nothing but trash talk about the guy since he was drafted, now we’re hoping Willis can be that “good”?

That's why I watched the Ol Miss tape but yea a lot of his teammates will fit the used car salesman category. He made a couple Ol Miss rushers than came free off the edge miss in the backfield that were certainly wow plays. It was obvious he didn't have much talent around him and he was a one man show.

Must of been others ragging on Jackson, he was a project to develop into a passer coming out of college but no denying the guy has always been talented.
Yeah, it's hard to judge watching him run around with future missionaries and car salesmen, but I think you're about right.

Has this board turned a corner on LJ? Up until this draft pick, I’ve read nothing but trash talk about the guy since he was drafted, now we’re hoping Willis can be that “good”?

lots of doubt from me

I'll be honest... I've never been a fan of scramblers. The QBs first, main, and if need be only job is to be a passer. Any running ability... That's just gravy that comes with risk.

But I can't deny that the league has changed.

If malik ever truly becomes our guy, we will have to tailor an offense to him like Baltimore has.

It seems to me this selection, and the aj trade, is kind of telling as to our philosophy... We are going to be a run first team with a great defense. We are not going to pay a lot for wr.

Disagree.
Vick existed before Vick just had a different name and was a much, much better passer, Cunningham. There’s others comparable as well maybe not as overall notable.

OCs chose to let him run, at least the best teams, like Tennessee did to Baltimore in the div round 19’. Go ahead and run all over the place, unless it equals points, it doesnt matter. That’s the story of all his post season appearances anyway.

I do agree though, like many not very good QB that existed before all the passing rules that makes marginal QBs look better, he would look better today.

Cunningham came into the league at a time when the West Coast offense was still in its infancy. So the learning curve was the same for him as it was for most every QB coming out. Mid 90 early 2000 QBs like McNair, McNabb, etc. all adapted to the game over time. Vick either couldn't or wouldn't adapt. But today's read option would be perfect for his skill set.

I think Lamar is overrated, in that I don't think he's one of the 5 best QBs in the league like all the media networks pretend he is. But he's still a good QB that is very dangerous with the ball in his hands. I also don't think his play style will allow him to play very long in the NFL, and when his legs go, he'll essentially turn into RG3.

I'll be honest... I've never been a fan of scramblers. The QBs first, main, and if need be only job is to be a passer. Any running ability... That's just gravy that comes with risk.

But I can't deny that the league has changed.

If malik ever truly becomes our guy, we will have to tailor an offense to him like Baltimore has.

It seems to me this selection, and the aj trade, is kind of telling as to our philosophy... We are going to be a run first team with a great defense. We are not going to pay a lot for wr.
Changed to what?

The best QBs throw first and scramble, not run if they’re even capable of running (note Tom Brady).
Flash in the pan regular season running QBs aren’t winning SB or even having success against playoff teams.

I think Lamar is overrated, in that I don't think he's one of the 5 best QBs in the league like all the media networks pretend he is. But he's still a good QB that is very dangerous with the ball in his hands. I also don't think his play style will allow him to play very long in the NFL, and when his legs go, he'll essentially turn into RG3.
I agree. And I’d probably expand that top to 10.

My point really was in agreement with this that it’s not a good thing to be compared to Lamar Jackson or Mike Vick and, yes even blasphemy, Steve McNair. Mcnair’s Legacy has to do with his toughness and leadership not necessarily his QB play.

Changed to what?

The best QBs throw first and scramble, not run if they’re even capable of running (note Tom Brady).
Flash in the pan regular season running QBs aren’t winning SB or even having success against playoff teams.

Yes. I'm not so much referring to the ability to run as the ability to improvise. Scramble around the pocket. Avoid the rush. Make a guy miss. Make a throw on the run off script. Those kind of things are more and more common in today's nfl. You don't see many statues anymore.

I want malik to become more of a Mahomes Allen style guy than a Lamar style guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back