Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loser: Third Down Defense

Going back to the Titans win over the Bills, Tennessee’s defense has allowed their opponents to convert 33 of their 49 third downs (67.3%).

The highest season long third down conversion rate that a team has allowed since 1991 (the furthest Pro Football Reference’s database goes back on that stat) is 49.6% by the 1995 Cleveland Browns.

The Titans were giving up a league-high 57.8% conversion rate heading into this game and the Steelers 13-of-18 performance will continue to send that number in the wrong direction for Tennessee.

This is a problem that must get figured out in a hurry for the Titans defense.

The 3rd and 13 throw to Davis. You said you would have liked it if it were 2nd down not 3rd down call. It would have been 2nd 13 if Tannehill didn’t have the grounding call and just took the sack.

No I said that 3rd and 13 launch to CD84 would've been a perfect call if it was 2nd and 13 as opposed to 3rd and 13.

Defense gave up 370 yards of offense to the Bills. Titans had 2 turnovers and that’s really what made it seem like they played better but Titans gave up a record number of 3rd down conversions that game I think lol they hardly played great that game. Just got turnovers at opportune times.

The only thing that the defense does well is force turnovers. The two INT in the 2nd half are why they stayed in the game.

I think the team is +8 this season in turnover ratio.

1st drive amplified our 3rd down issues. Defense is a big problem, but it isn’t healthy at the moment. Steelers a Super Bowl contender, and it was a missed field goal that lost us the game. We were down 24-7 and had a chance to tie in the end, actually win really, so I’m not overly concerned. We’ll see them again soon.

1st drive amplified our 3rd down issues. Defense is a big problem, but it isn’t healthy at the moment. Steelers a Super Bowl contender, and it was a missed field goal that lost us the game. We were down 24-7 and had a chance to tie in the end, actually win really, so I’m not overly concerned. We’ll see them again soon.

More like down 27-7.

My major beef is playing bunch formation most of the game.

Why not spread out AJ, CD84, Jonnu and Hump? We played in a lot bunch formation all game, leaving Watt and Dupree in the box.

Had we played spread, there's no way in hell the Steelers defense does what they did all day today.

We have so many weapons to only have AJ Brown spread out wide.

My major beef is playing bunch formation most of the game.

Why not spread out AJ, CD84, Jonnu and Hump? We played in a lot bunch formation all game, leaving Watt and Dupree in the box.

Had we played spread, there's no way in hell the Steelers defense does what they did all day today.

We have so many weapons to only have AJ Brown spread out wide.
They all chipped on the edge rushers all game. That’s why.

Yeah, spread is great, but then you’re relying on the o-line to win their one-on-one matchups, which I’m not sure they would.

AND everything we do on offense looks the same whether it’s a run, pass, or play actions. It’s one of the things that makes it effective. You lose that going spread.

Yeah, spread is great, but then you’re relying on the o-line to win their one-on-one matchups, which I’m not sure they would.

AND everything we do on offense looks the same whether it’s a run, pass, or play actions. It’s one of the things that makes it effective. You lose that going spread.

The right side of the line (Davis and Kelly) were getting beat left and right all game. If they had gone to a spread offense, Tannenhill would have ended up like Mettenberger did a couple of years ago against the Giants.

That’s a good point Fry! Would be cool to throw a wrench in our opponents planning from time to time, and actually go to spread, up tempo. Talent is there

Good point, but if you looked at Watt when we was in spread formation, he never rushed the QB. It definitely was a chess match today. We almost never bought Jonnu to help out Kelly today. Jonnu helping out Kelly would've kept Watt on his toes, yet we seemed to only send out Swain to help out Kelly. Watt never viewed Swain as a pass threat and still bought the house.

We honestly should've spread out Jonnu on Watt's end all day long. Baffles we how Jonnu was such a non factor today.

Not even upset about this L, we lost to a better team but proved that we can hang with the best team in the league and that our offense can score at will when we’re focused. Even in a loss, this game showed that we’re legit contenders this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back