Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but regardless...

we should just use 'OVERRATED' when referring to him.

Please, do cite your argument instead of ranting and raving for once, I'm interested in hearing your position...

saying things like "he's overrated" really doesn't give us any insight into WHY you feel he or his performances are overrated.

Read a few posts up. I said exactly why I thought that way.

He didn't have one scene that would be difficult for any other actor in hollywood to emulate. Not one moment where any aspiring actor would say 'wow... nice job'. And his career has been very mediocre acting-wise. He pretty much played himself in this one. I can't blame him for it not being a memorable role, because that was just the character. Just a supporting character with no depth. So I'm not so much harping on his job in this film... he did nothing wrong. But I am harping on why people think he "stole the show"...which is just ridiculous. There were at least 2 other actors that he was in the shadow of in ability AND performance.

- And I like the guy. I want him to do well. I've always seen a bit of myself in him to an extent... so I've always wanted him to blow me away. I was waiting for it in Inception, and I ended up not even thinking about his performance because it was so pedestrian.

All I'm saying is...

He didn't steal the show like people want to think. Unless they EXPECTED that going in... I doubt they'd think it coming out.

The Other Guys... Surprisingly hilarious.

I went in to this one expecting it to be painfully stupid and just not very funny. Was pleasantly surprised. Had me giggling the whole way through. Mark Wahlberg actually having a laugh at himself in this one is worth it alone.

Must see it now. I've been hearing good things about it... along the lines of what you've said.

I'll go buy a $9.99 blu-ray at Target that comes with a free ticket to the movie. Very, very good deal. The selections aren't the greatest, but maybe I'll just take the ticket and return the movie. :)

Read a few posts up. I said exactly why I thought that way.

He didn't have one scene that would be difficult for any other actor in hollywood to emulate. Not one moment where any aspiring actor would say 'wow... nice job'. And his career has been very mediocre acting-wise. He pretty much played himself in this one. I can't blame him for it not being a memorable role, because that was just the character. Just a supporting character with no depth. So I'm not so much harping on his job in this film... he did nothing wrong. But I am harping on why people think he "stole the show"...which is just ridiculous. There were at least 2 other actors that he was in the shadow of in ability AND performance.

- And I like the guy. I want him to do well. I've always seen a bit of myself in him to an extent... so I've always wanted him to blow me away. I was waiting for it in Inception, and I ended up not even thinking about his performance because it was so pedestrian.

All I'm saying is...

He didn't steal the show like people want to think. Unless they EXPECTED that going in... I doubt they'd think it coming out.

Have you seen Mysterious Skin? If you had, I think you'd change your tune.

On a side note: Machete was hilarious. Great fun. 8/10

^You know what's funny? Someone suggested Mysterious Skin to me earlier today due to my anti- JGL hype machine.

I'll check it out. Hope it's not just another slow indie film though. He seems to get most credit for being in those. Think it's a film-student thing.

^You know what's funny? Someone suggested Mysterious Skin to me earlier today due to my anti- JGL hype machine.

I'll check it out. Hope it's not just another slow indie film though. He seems to get most credit for being in those. Think it's a film-student thing.

I think he gives a very organic performance. The movie is actually quite good, it tackles some issues most films are afraid to tackle.

Machete - Took me a bit to get the time to see this, but I liked it. The whole film felt like a giant wink at the audience, which I like sometimes. Here, the performances are fun - everyone seems to be having a really fun time with their characters, and it shines through the sometimes groan-worthy dialogue. There are a lot of standout scenes, but the film really isn't better than the sum of it's parts.

Honestly, my biggest complaint was too little time spent with Danny Trejo himself, and a tad too much spent with the "Network" and the hyperbolic fantasy of the immigration revolution. Jessica Alba was completely unnecessary and felt forced, and Rodriguez' character (while one of her more tolerable performances) got too much screen-time.

However, De Niro, Fahey, Johnson, and Segal all were a blast to watch. Each were pretty interesting "B" villains, and could honestly all been main bad guys in a different action film. Cheech was good in a very limited role.

All in all, good fun, some good laughs. Recommend this to fans of the B-action films of the '80s.

8/10

Machete - Took me a bit to get the time to see this, but I liked it. The whole film felt like a giant wink at the audience, which I like sometimes. Here, the performances are fun - everyone seems to be having a really fun time with their characters, and it shines through the sometimes groan-worthy dialogue. There are a lot of standout scenes, but the film really isn't better than the sum of it's parts.

Honestly, my biggest complaint was too little time spent with Danny Trejo himself, and a tad too much spent with the "Network" and the hyperbolic fantasy of the immigration revolution. Jessica Alba was completely unnecessary and felt forced, and Rodriguez' character (while one of her more tolerable performances) got too much screen-time.

However, De Niro, Fahey, Johnson, and Segal all were a blast to watch. Each were pretty interesting "B" villains, and could honestly all been main bad guys in a different action film. Cheech was good in a very limited role.

All in all, good fun, some good laughs. Recommend this to fans of the B-action films of the '80s.

8/10

I also enjoyed Machete but it got a LITTLE preachy with its political agenda...just saying. It was the funniest film i've seen this year, though.

I took the agenda with a grain of salt. The film was foremost just trying to have fun. Taking a relevant social topic and using it as a vehicle for the plot (and to the extreme) is very common for '80s b-action flicks.

Trick 'R Treat - 0.01/10

I haven't experienced such pain from doing anything in a long, long time.

It wasn't even the "it's so bad it's funny" type. It's the "why the **** am I wasting my time watching this garbage???" kind of movie.

The Hurt Locker

I finally got to see this one and thought it was outstanding. I don't know if I put it up there with some of the other war classics but this wasn't a typical war movie.

8.5/10

The Road 7/10

Didn't like the way this one ended. Really?! That's what happens to the boy? They were being stalked the entire time? Stupid. Otherwise a pretty decent post apocalyptic movie.

I'll go as far as to say I really really dig Trick 'r Treat and after one viewing it became an essential October watch.. There are too few movies that capture the spirit and vibe of Halloween as well as this one does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back