Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Alt is the only college LT capable of playing LT in the NFL. And only one guy a year successfully goes from college LT to NFL LT. All the other guys project as RT or guards.

This still seems like it just can't be true.

Alt is the only college LT capable of playing LT in the NFL. And only one guy a year successfully goes from college LT to NFL LT. All the other guys project as RT or guards.

This still seems like it just can't be true.
Because it’s not.
Alt isn’t going to be the only college LT that succeeds at the NFL from this year’s draft. Speculation on my part, but I feel pretty confident in this one.

not sure where your statistic of “only 1 guy a year successfully goes from college LT to NFL LT”.
That’s just an untrue statistic.

Because it’s not.
Alt isn’t going to be the only college LT that succeeds at the NFL from this year’s draft. Speculation on my part, but I feel pretty confident in this one.

not sure where your statistic of “only 1 guy a year successfully goes from college LT to NFL LT”.
That’s just an untrue statistic.

Not really a statisitc. And I know it's an exaggeration. This is an ongoing rant of mine that has been going on for about a year. We have all these LT guys that can't play LT. Can't get a LT unless we pick in the top 5. And so on...

I need to just let it go...

Not really a statisitc. And I know it's an exaggeration. This is an ongoing rant of mine that has been going on for about a year. We have all these LT guys that can't play LT. Can't get a LT unless we pick in the top 5. And so on...

I need to just let it go...
Sorry, I didn’t piece this with the others that you were referring to the titans LT inability not a league wide consideration.

it is strange. As pointed out by some others, some very successful LT have had shorter arms than Ski, so I truly don’t understand this one.
My only thinking, at least throughout last season, is that the OL hole was going to happen. Since Brewer sucks too, it was more beneficial to have the hole at LT/C than at LG/C.

Sorry, I didn’t piece this with the others that you were referring to the titans LT inability not a league wide consideration.

it is strange. As pointed out by some others, some very successful LT have had shorter arms than Ski, so I truly don’t understand this one.
My only thinking, at least throughout last season, is that the OL hole was going to happen. Since Brewer sucks too, it was more beneficial to have the hole at LT/C than at LG/C.
You hear it all the time. "This guy was a 4 year starter at LT in college but he's projected to be a G in the NFL". I think scouts/analysis/coaches all get caught up in the measurables. If a guys wingspan is 1/4" short then they can't possibly play the position they've been playing for 4+ years at a higher level. It's pretty crazy.

You hear it all the time. "This guy was a 4 year starter at LT in college but he's projected to be a G in the NFL". I think scouts/analysis/coaches all get caught up in the measurables. If a guys wingspan is 1/4" short then they can't possibly play the position they've been playing for 4+ years at a higher level. It's pretty crazy.
Or, they watch the tape and understand that some guys can’t make the jump to the next level because of lack of athleticism, quickness, or reaction. Those guys tend to fair better in the interior. The arm length thing is purely a combine thing that analysts and talking heads put way too much emphasis on. Just like the 40. Actual NFL scouts and coaches know what they are looking for.

Or, they watch the tape and understand that some guys can’t make the jump to the next level because of lack of athleticism, quickness, or reaction. Those guys tend to fair better in the interior. The arm length thing is purely a combine thing that analysts and talking heads put way too much emphasis on. Just like the 40. Actual NFL scouts and coaches know what they are looking for.
I can’t find many reports that point out Skoronski had a lack of any of those. If anything, different variations of those are listed as strengths.

continuously repeated we’re “size and length”.
Some did say his lower body strength was an area of improvement. That alone may point to not OT material, but all the scouting reports really circled the size and length.

I can’t find many reports that point out Skoronski had a lack of any of those. If anything, different variations of those are listed as strengths.

continuously repeated we’re “size and length”.
Some did say his lower body strength was an area of improvement. That alone may point to not OT material, but all the scouting reports really circled the size and length.
Scouting reports done by whom? Actually, I am curious. Do these scouting reports come from actual scouts?

Actually as far as saying the college All American Left Tackle can't make the transition, you can probably make that case most easily for Skoronski when compared to NPF and Radunz. That still doesn't excuse the fact that either we knew none of these guys could play LT and we were just ignoring that position, or we thought we were drafting LT's for development and completely missed on our evaluations, or we just sucked at coaching. I think absolutely any of us, if given 5 or 6 tries at drafting could eventually pick a guy that could play LT even if we did it blindfolded with a dart board.

Scouting reports done by whom? Actually, I am curious. Do these scouting reports come from actual scouts?
Peter Skoronski NFL Draft 2023 scouting report: Prospect profile, NFL Combine results, pro comparison, more

Peter Skoronski Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/peter-skoronski-ot-northwestern-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

2023 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Peter Skoronski – WalterFootball

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/2023-nfl-draft-profile-peter-skoronski

Now I don’t know if this is direct from the scouts or poorly regurgitated reporters. I also know that “journalists” love to copy each other which could account for a lot of the repetitive descriptions, positive and negative.

Actually as far as saying the college All American Left Tackle can't make the transition, you can probably make that case most easily for Skoronski when compared to NPF and Radunz. That still doesn't excuse the fact that either we knew none of these guys could play LT and we were just ignoring that position, or we thought we were drafting LT's for development and completely missed on our evaluations, or we just sucked at coaching. I think absolutely any of us, if given 5 or 6 tries at drafting could eventually pick a guy that could play LT even if we did it blindfolded with a dart board.
Except for Ski, wasnt Lewan still in the mix?
Although they signed Duncan as depth so not sure those 2 weee ever thought of as LT.

They know what they're looking for...but every one of them choose wrong every single year. They could very well be wrong that an 4 year starter at LT can't play LT.

Are LT and LG honestly that much different in today's NFL? They all basically have the same job...stop the guys in front of you from killing your QB.

The second link is telling (the one from NFL.com). The scouting report is credited to Lance Zierlein, who has never worked as a scout. I can’t take his analysis that seriously. He does write, “sources say…” and goes on to say Ski would be an All Pro guard but just average as a tackle.

Until we see actual pro scouting reports from NFL teams, jackwagons like Zierlein can say what they want and jackwagons like us will believe it.

They know what they're looking for...but every one of them choose wrong every single year. They could very well be wrong that an 4 year starter at LT can't play LT.

Are LT and LG honestly that much different in today's NFL? They all basically have the same job...stop the guys in front of you from killing your QB.
Are LT and LG that much different in today’s NFL? Really? I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Except for Ski, wasnt Lewan still in the mix?
Although they signed Duncan as depth so not sure those 2 weee ever thought of as LT.

He was. Although there was a noticeable decline after the PED suspension and then the ACL which should have both been seen as a time to acquire his future replacement. I acknowledge that is probably easier to see now than it was at the time. But, I still think that we failed to be proactive in addressing the future at LT.

Preparation
Presentation
Passion

2023 NFL Draft Prospects: Offensive Tackle – WalterFootball

Skoronski is slated to play left tackle for the Wildcats in 2022, but NFL teams have him as a guard on their preseason watch list. That is easy to understand because he is short and lacks length for tackle as a pro. Skoronski broke into the starting lineup as a freshman and played well over the past few seasons. Skoronski is a tough, polished technician who could be a good NFL guard.

Pro sources said Skoronski looked heavier and stronger in fall camp than he did in 2021, and he showed more strength in 2022. They say adding power has given him the flexibility to also play right tackle in the NFL. They note that like Slater, Skoronski can bend and move. Not all pro teams are sold on Skoronski being as good as Slater, and the debate about Skoronski staying at tackle or moving to guard will probably extend through the 2023 NFL Draft until his franchise decides where to start him out.

I guess it's been decided can y'all stfu and retire this tiresome debate?

Latest posts

Back