Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Outstanding first couple signings. We landed the top Center free agent, and we landed a playmaker in his prime. Spears would've been in a hard situation as the only starter level RB on the team.

Titans best win 10 games now that they have tossed DH22 off the island

yj8GuC.gif

Titans land RB Tony Pollard on three-year deal

The deal: Three years, $24 million
Grade: C

This is a steep price to pay for a running back coming off a bad season. Pollard managed a paltry 4.0 yards per carry with minus-0.2 rush yards over expectation per carry in 2023, according to NFL Next Gen Stats, after he had been extremely efficient during the 2022 season (1.2 rush yards per carry over expectation). It was a huge drop-off in a year in which Ezekiel Elliott was gone and Pollard became the lead back.

There is one scenario where this all works out, where Pollard's recovery from a fractured fibula suffered the previous January was the main hindrance to his 2023 performance and that he is able to put that behind him in 2024. In that instance, the Titans might have gotten an efficient runner for a good price.

But I'm hesitant. Given the incredibly short careers of most running backs, the baseline expectation for a back off a bad season is probably that they will never reach their previous heights again. The money here -- $8 million per year -- is a bet against that standard expectation, especially if some is guaranteed after Year 1 (we'll learn the details later).

It's also somewhat of an odd pairing with Tyjae Spears. I'd have guessed the Titans would have wanted a larger, more bruising back to pair with him. -- Seth Walder

Outstanding first couple signings. We landed the top Center free agent, and we landed a playmaker in his prime. Spears would've been in a hard situation as the only starter level RB on the team.
7th rounder could have done what Pollard is for pennies on the dollar. This is an awful signing. Cush is good

could have drafted a RB late

1 RB with 1 year of experience and 1 rookie. Doesn't sound like a great plan, imo.

Not saying Pollard was a "great" signing or that there weren't cheaper options with similar skillsets (Singletary). But I really don't think using our limited draft picks on RB1/RB2 would have been wise.

I think we all know how you feel about Pollard.
It's not even so much Pollard, it's spending on RB when that was literally one of our only decent positions last year, that we spent good draft capital on last year, with a million other holes on the team. Oh and it's the least valuable position in football to boot.

7th rounder could have done what Pollard is for pennies on the dollar. This is an awful signing. Cush is good
Pollard had back to back 1K yard seasons. He was great 2 seasons ago splitting carries before he broke his leg.

We have the money and don't have a lot of draft picks to use on another RB. And Pollard is a local guy. Always like signing guys close to home

Pollard had back to back 1K yard seasons. He was great 2 seasons ago splitting carries before he broke his leg.

We have the money and don't have a lot of draft picks to use on another RB. And Pollard is a local guy. Always like signing guys close to home
We also have holes literally everywhere but RB basically. And just spent a third on an rb last year. Who looked good. Now we spend on that position. It makes no sense.

Would loved to draft Audric Estime in the 4th, but that won't be happening now. Dang Spears and Estime would've been a fun combo.

We also have holes literally everywhere but RB basically. And just spent a third on an rb last year. Who looked good. Now we spend on that position. It makes no sense.
I’m gonna trust the professionals. Ran and Callahan thought Pollard would be a big addition to this offense. That’s good enough for me.

Henry 30, Pollard 26. If you're gonna sign one at that price you gotta go with the younger guy.
Henry, all time great still producing among the top of the league
Pollard, some forgettable name that will disappear in the history of NFL. Not even some under rated guy, just a guy.
And curious who was more productive just last year?
Younger guy doesn’t mean anything, talent and effectiveness mean a lot.

Henry, all time great still producing among the top of the league
Pollard, some forgettable name that will disappear in the history of NFL. Not even some under rated guy, just a guy.
And curious who was more productive just last year?
Younger guy doesn’t mean anything, talent and effectiveness mean a lot.

You keep bringing up the past to make points about Henry, but you’re not taking into account what kind of offense we are going to be running this year.

Latest posts

Back